Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt for my sis's cook top... and a question

Blog Entries

Quilt for my sis's cook top... and a question

Hello all... my sister's cook top is on the North side of the house and vented... she's been using layers of newspaper and towels and it occurred to her last week to ask me to make a "quilt" for her cook top! I'm so excited to do this... she went to a few shops to purchase material and has already sent the fabric and it will be very special...
    My question is... to keep out the cold (actually to keep the warmth IN) should I use two layers of batting? one layer of wool batting? two? Should I use the Insulated batting used for potholders? The quilt will be 29" x 39" approximately. She doesn't want a lot of puffiness... Help, please?

And Merry Christmas everyone!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Blog Entries
    Will she just be laying this on top the cook top ? I am having a hard time visualizing this, sorry My first concern would be starting a fire
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I would definitely try to get fire retardant fabrics and batting.
    Linda

Banned
    Blog Entries
    sorry, I can not fathom the idea of putting fabric ON any cooking surface! Can you show us exactly what you are talking about/planning!

Yes, please give more details. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

If you are actually going to make some kind of covering for the vent hood opening which is logically where the cold air would be coming in, it might be smarter to cut a piece of foam insulation to fit the opening for her to pop in when not using the vent. There are all kinds of ways to make it snug and not drop out onto the cooktop.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    sorry, I can not fathom the idea of putting fabric ON any cooking surface! Can you show us exactly what you are talking about/planning!
    I can't fathom that either, nor the papers and towels that are being used. We definitely need more info.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Is the vent on the wall? On the hood above the cooktop? On the back of the cooktop?

Anything you put on it should be fire resistant.

Depending on where it's located would depend upon the helpful hints you'd receive.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Power Poster
    Okay, is the little quilt for the vent the goes outside above the stove? My son has one for their stove but it is only about 12 inch square. I thought of doing one for his but wondered about fasteners and fabric. I thought of using the stuff that is silver (for ironing boards) and perhaps strong magnets under one layer of fabric on the back. The magnets would stick to the metal frame and should hold a tiny flame proof quilt to the frame. I haven't attempted it because I worried that the little quilt even with flame proof fabric may fall down on an unattended pot and catch fire? Perhaps if you did permanent fasteners? Maybe someone else will have some suggestions for you.

Blog Entries
    The way I read this, is she is trying to keep out the cold air from the vented area behind the stove, right? I'd start on the outside of the house - wrap it with insulations and cover it with a heavy plastic sheet - secure it in place somehow (duct tape might work) around the vent - this time of year is hard to secure on the outside of buildings, but I'd not put anything on the wall behind the stove unless it was also securely placed; use thumb tacks to attach it to the wall, or even a fancy tape - or use moulding to "frame" it into place, but do not just hang it for fear of it falling onto the cooktop - regardless of how safety conscious you are, stoves do malfunction - very seldom, but it could happen none the less.. so I'd be fearful of causing even more destruction in trying to make it look presentable without securing it firmly in place... just a few suggestions that I can think of... but the idea of a "quilted" background is appealing none the less... good luck in whatever you wind up doing.
    Last edited by jad1044; 12-24-2011 at 08:24 AM.
    JO

Blog Entries
    Oh my, I realize I didn't give enough info... She just wants something to lay over the cook top when no one is in the kitchen. There are no children in the home, so I don't think she's worried about that. I'd thought about the flammability, but figured she knew what she wanted... I'll definitely share your suggestions!! Thanks everyone!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by running1 View Post
    Oh my, I realize I didn't give enough info... She just wants something to lay over the cook top when no one is in the kitchen. There are no children in the home, so I don't think she's worried about that. I'd thought about the flammability, but figured she knew what she wanted... I'll definitely share your suggestions!! Thanks everyone!!
    everyone's right, none of PLAN on starting a fire... fix the vent with the quilt or styro or both and talk her out of the 'stove quilt'...

Would a layer of vinyl inside help?

Sorry, but this is all kinds of wrong. Putting fabric of any kind on a STOVE TOP is foolish. All it takes is a bump on the knob and the top is on. Venting is insufficient. If its too cold, have her get the vent fixed - don't put newspapers or other flammable materials on top of it!!

Think about how you'd feel if the stove (or your sister!) ever malfunctioned and there was any kind of flamable material on the surface. The whole idea is SO not worth the risk. You need to convince her of that so she doesn't continue to cover the cooktop even if you don't make her a 'stove quilt'.

I think I understand what you are looking for - her cooktop must have a vent right in the cooktop, not in the hood over the top - correct. Lots of cooktops have down draft vents in the surface of them and this must be what she wants to cover up when not using the stove.

I have a cooktop with the downdraft in the center of the cooktop. I don't ever recall getting a draft through there. Maybe the damper is stuck open outside. I hope you can get this resolved.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

"Think about how you'd feel if the stove (or your sister!) ever malfunctioned and there was any kind of flamable material on the surface."
    I AGREE! Malfunctions DO HAPPEN! Fix the vent, or get a new stove. It is NOT worth the risk of life and limb (and home)..!!!!!!!
    Loretta Sewhappytoquilt

Blog Entries
    These are my thoughts, too! I imagine a fire department inspector would come apart at the seams if they were to see something like that. So not worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
    Sorry, but this is all kinds of wrong. Putting fabric of any kind on a STOVE TOP is foolish. All it takes is a bump on the knob and the top is on. Venting is insufficient. If its too cold, have her get the vent fixed - don't put newspapers or other flammable materials on top of it!!
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Blog Entries
    My sister is single, no kids and never I mean never uses her stove, I could see her wanting to cover it with something, I'm not going to give her any ideas tho, that will just mean one more project for me.
    Marie M.

If her cook top is like my Jenn Air, there is a vent that is level with and between two glass top burners. The vent goes through the floor and then to the outside wall under the floor (along the basement ceiling). Her idea is a really good one. I've used layers of terry dish towels to cover my vent for years, but now I think I'll borrow her idea and make a cook top quilt, too. Thank your sister for me, please. And, Merry Christmas to all of you!

I think the general consensus is this isn't a great idea. However if the stove is a jenn air model as mentioned above, with the stove knobs on top of stove it may be ok. I wouldn't let it cover the whole cooktop, just the vent area.

You know...I have no children at home, either, but I just do not think putting any kind of fabric covering over a cook-top is a good idea, at all.

Blog Entries
    If the vented air goes down, it is an emergency outlet for gas (which is heavier than air and would spill down)
    So, what we are talking about here is blocking the escape vent, which means that, if someone knocks the knob on, the gas will fill the kitchen.
    Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by kaylfordsollimo View Post
    If her cook top is like my Jenn Air, there is a vent that is level with and between two glass top burners. The vent goes through the floor and then to the outside wall under the floor (along the basement ceiling). Her idea is a really good one. I've used layers of terry dish towels to cover my vent for years, but now I think I'll borrow her idea and make a cook top quilt, too. Thank your sister for me, please. And, Merry Christmas to all of you!

The OP never said whether the cooktop in question is gas or electric, or even that it is a dowdraft model for that matter. It would be a whole lot safer any way you look at it , to simply make sure the venting is properly insulated and to possibly clean the gunk out of the outer wall vent opening where accumulated grease and gunk may be keeping it from sealing tight when not in use.

Blog Entries
    Wow never heard of such a deal. I bet you could be making the very first stove quilt.lol
    Ladyredhawk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast