Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which quilt pattern intimidates you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-pattern-intimidates-you-t206169.html)

amber1957 11-16-2012 06:44 PM

I don't know that I will ever be able to complete a Wedding Ring quilt, Mariner's compass or Grandmother's flower garden. I have tried and they are in my UFO pile.

suebee 11-16-2012 06:47 PM

Anything with a curved seam, hate them! yes, Ive tried that dumb sewing machine foot specifically designed to "make it easier" does not, still time consuming.

lynnie 11-16-2012 06:52 PM

Storm at sea tooooooo many pcs.
mariners compass is easy its the way it goes tog, all sstraight lines.

donnalynett 11-16-2012 07:03 PM

Paper piecing, cathedral windows and hexagons

MimiBug123 11-16-2012 07:05 PM

A Dear Jane, Baltimore Album or Lone star. I love applique, and feel like I do it well, but for some reason the first 2 just scare my senseless!

spokanequilter 11-16-2012 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by luce321 (Post 5661696)
"Storm at Sea" is a problem for me. I am making a quilt of 12 blocks but when it came to SAS block, I gave up on it. I decided to use another block to comlete my project. I did not have trouble putting it together, just getting it to size up the same as he other blocks.

Did you paper piece that block?? That's the only way I can get the Storm at Sea block to work.

Intimidated? Yes indeedy.... by anything involving a curved seam - and needle turn applique can make my stomach flip flip as well....

Buckeye Rose 11-16-2012 07:25 PM

For me, it's anything with lots of points coming together, like pinwheels...can't ever seem to get them right without ripping several times...have done a bargello and zipped right through it....I really want to learn applique, but reading a book just doesn't seem to give me enough info to do it right....I need a tutor I guess

MTS 11-16-2012 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5661664)
I am just not sure if to get a proper circle if the outside curve and inside curve are the same. I just need to work out the geometry.

Do you mean because of the seam allowances?

The sewing lines will have the same diameter, obviously, on both pieces of fabric (circle and background).

All the GREEN lines are the same length - 4 inches in this example.
(It doesn't look like it but they are.)
The black represents part of the fabric used for the seam allowances.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]376959[/ATTACH]

Many of the circle rulers can cut either piece taking into account the SA.

pennycandy 11-16-2012 09:08 PM

Any pattern that has diamond shaped pieces. I have an Better Holmes & Garden's Patchwork & Quilting book that has a 1977 copywrite. There is a picture of a Storm at Sea quilt that I love. I talk myself out of doing one every time I look at the pattern pieces.

Grace creates 11-16-2012 09:16 PM

I like paper piecing very much, and my brain flowed easily into working reverse. When I first got my sewing machine I made a tree skirt for Christmas with circles and it was a little tough because I wasn't using a pattern but doable. what does scare me is the Dear Jane blocks. I admire that very much but the directions seem lacking. I don't like directions to much to begin with that is why I am always changing things up. Well keep posting all of those lovely Dear Jane quilts and I comment all of you conquers of those beauties.