Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A quilt police officer in the making *sigh* (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-police-officer-making-%2Asigh%2A-t88062.html)

Homespun 01-07-2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by deema
I am a newbie quilter. I only started late August 2010. I'm pretty much self taught, with the help of this board (HUGE help) and numerous hours spent surfing the web. lol. I have a friend who was inspired to start quilting after I did, which is GREAT! I actually have inspired a few of my friends to start - the more the merrier - and I always help them out where I can. Being a newbie myself, I don't always have the answers, but I try to find them. BUT, this one friend decided to take a class (more power to her) and she's decided the the things she's learned in this class are the "right" way to quilt. Now, I'm all for learning different techniques, finding what works best for you and running with it, and I always try to offer more than one alternative when a question is asked of me. But now every time we talk she'll say "the way you do "X" (insert technique) is wrong. I learned in my class that you're supposed to do it this way". Oy. :hunf:

I always respond with "This is just what I prefer, and what works for me. There are no hard rules, just preferences." But jeepers, it just grinds me. *sigh* Ok, I'm done now. Do any of you have a quilt police officer in your midst?

I don't but one of my favorite sayings is: There is more than one way to skin a cat!

Carol J. 01-07-2011 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Homespun

I am a newbie quilter. I only started late August 2010. I'm pretty much self taught, with the help of this board (HUGE help) and numerous hours spent surfing the web. lol. I have a friend who was inspired to start quilting after I did, which is GREAT! I actually have inspired a few of my friends to start - the more the merrier - and I always help them out where I can. Being a newbie myself, I don't always have the answers, but I try to find them. BUT, this one friend decided to take a class (more power to her) and she's decided the the things she's learned in this class are the "right" way to quilt. Now, I'm all for learning different techniques, finding what works best for you and running with it, and I always try to offer more than one alternative when a question is asked of me. But now every time we talk she'll say "the way you do "X" (insert technique) is wrong. I learned in my class that you're supposed to do it this way". Oy. :hunf:

I always respond with "This is just what I prefer, and what works for me. There are no hard rules, just preferences." But jeepers, it just grinds me. *sigh* Ok, I'm done now. Do any of you have a quilt police officer in your midst?

I don't but one of my favorite sayings is: There is more than one way to skin a cat!

I was going to say that but thought the cat lovers would have a fit so I am glad you did and not I. I owned a yarn shop at one time and taught many people to knit and crochet, when I got one of those know-it-alls and they brought me their problem to solve, I would say, let's try it this way, not my way, but this way, and showed them another option.
Quilting is half following the pattern and the rest is creativity. The seams should match but the rest is up to you.

Carol J.

mimee4 01-07-2011 06:00 AM

There are so many techniques out there in quiltland that before long, HER way will be wrong and SHE will have to adapt. You keep doing things as you have been and learn along the way. Good for you.

arimuse 01-07-2011 06:31 AM

I look at it like this: there are as many ways to do things as there are people. Being mostly self taught, if someone tells me they took a class and learned to do something another way I ask them how that way was taught. If it shows me its easier/cheaper then I figure I've learned something. If it shows me its harder/ more expensive I figured I learned something on my own, lol. Either way, someone noticed the work I put into my quilt. people only insult you if you take what they say as an insult, lol! Just hear an interested comment and you will smile more thru the day - share t

OmaForFour 01-07-2011 06:31 AM

I would gently tell her that I appreciate her advise but I wish she would reconsider saying my way is wrong because there is more than one way of doing things. Maybe you should direct her to this board so that she learns that lesson. On the other hand, LOL LOL, maybe that is not a good idea because then you would have to watch what you say. LOL

IndyQuilter 01-07-2011 07:01 AM

Who's to say the teacher taught her "the right way"? She only taught her 'a way' of doing something. I used to tell my students that I would show them 'my way' and if they were not comfortable with doing it that way then they could do it 'their way'. Quilting is supposed to be fun, not stressful. The only thing that I did stress is the 1/4" rule. If you do not try to get the best 1/4" it can throw off your piecing quite alot. The same goes with accurate cutting. It all depends on how much of a perfectionist you are and if you are happy, that's all that counts.
In the art world the first rule is: There are no rules! If you consider quilting to be an art and I do, then do what you want. It brings to mind the Gee's Bend quilts. They are considered art and those ladies broke all the "rules" of quilting.

Aurora 01-07-2011 07:04 AM

Assistance is always available in our guild when requested. Other than that the most used comment is "It's your quilt ...!"

quiltlin 01-07-2011 07:37 AM

Tell your friend to take a class from a different store and a different teacher and she'll learn all different techniques. Do you realize how many different ways there are to make half-square triangles? One person will swear by one way and another by another way. It's all in what you were first taught or first did.

LaurieE 01-07-2011 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
Our new quilter immediately went to tears and sobbing. .

Well, what happened to the Baby Chick?

cookie101221 01-07-2011 08:08 AM

I'm with you on this!! everyone has their own way of doing things....Classes are great to get the basics but please..... lol