Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt regarding setting up to quilt.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-regarding-setting-up-quilt-t128002.html)

QandE2010 06-05-2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
I don't pre-wash. I pay between $8-$10 a yard for fabric. With fabric of that quality, I shouldn't have to pre-wash, and I've never had problems, even with reds and purples.

I thought that, too. BUT the last quilt I made had a bunch of red batik next to white blocks. I paid $11.99 for the red batik at a top notch LGS. The quilt was very time intense. So I said, "Self, better color check the red to make sure I don't end up with pink & red!!". Good thing, it turned the water bright red. I washed it 8 times B-4 it finally quit running. Then I used retayne. Then after the quilt was finished, I added a couple color catchers to wash.

QandE2010 06-05-2011 06:45 AM

I don't pre-wash. I pay between $8-$10 a yard for fabric. With fabric of that quality, I shouldn't have to pre-wash, and I've never had problems, even with reds and purples.

I thought that, too. BUT the last quilt I made had a bunch of red batik next to white blocks. I paid $11.99 for the red batik at a top notch LGS. The quilt was very time intense. So I said, "Self, better color check the red to make sure I don't end up with pink & red!!". Good thing, it turned the water bright red. I washed it 8 times B-4 it finally quit running. Then I used retayne. Then after the quilt was finished, I added a couple color catchers to wash.

gramarraine 06-05-2011 06:48 AM

I never prewash but am wondering if I should prewash a piece that I am getting ready to cut for a quilt class. It is a black and white quilt. The one I am worring about is black on black.

QandE2010 06-05-2011 06:49 AM

I thought that, too. BUT the last quilt I made had a bunch of red batik next to white blocks. I paid $11.99 for the red batik at a top notch LGS. The quilt was very time intense. So I said, "Self, better color check the red to make sure I don't end up with pink & red!!". Good thing, it turned the water bright red. I washed it 8 times B-4 it finally quit running. Then I used retayne. Then after the quilt was finished, I added a couple color catchers to wash. This is just a heads up for some of the newbies. One NEVER knows if fabric will or won't bleed unless it is tested. IMHO

romanojg 06-05-2011 06:51 AM

You can get them at Joanns (under a different name)but it is cheaper to get the ones at the grocery store. They are made by Shout

Lisa Marie 06-05-2011 06:54 AM

I don't prewash, I use to but found that it is not necessary and stopped.

purplefiend 06-05-2011 06:56 AM

I have to prewash due to allergies. The fabrics have all sorts of chemicals in them and smell of perfume.
Sharon W.

catray 06-05-2011 07:00 AM

I know that I'm a pain. But this is a quote from Megan Dougherty from the magazine "Quilter's Home". "Washers want the sizing and other chemicals from the manufactoring process removed, as well as any excess dye and rodent feces". To go ahead onto the article. "You'll thank me when you don't get the plague". This woman states that she does alot of importing from overseas and often sees evidence of critters(rats). So for all those that like to rub fabric and touch to your hearts content. Think twice! I hope Megan Daugherty does not mind my using her words and I receive advice from her word.

joyce888 06-05-2011 07:01 AM

Looks like you've already got some good advice but I'll throw in my two cents. Buy quality fabric. If your not sure of fading, etc., cut a small measured square and test wash in small amount of detergent and dry as you plan to do with the quilt; that should give you an idea of how the fabric is going to perform. Doing this in a small bowl or coffee cup is all you need.

Johanna Fritz 06-05-2011 07:16 AM

Everyone has an opinion on this - kind of like a religion question. I think most people pick their wash or not wash based on their personal experience...or someone told them once they MUST do one or the other.

Personally, I ALWAYS wash. Maybe it is the hand dyer in me. It is also the problems that I have had (2 bad ones before I learned) of bleeding fabric (high quality $10.00 yard) on my needle turn applique. All that hard work wasted. I also had an issue in the past where I stitched and then washed. One fabric really shrank compared to the rest and wherever that fabric was in the quilt, there were small puckers as the seams of that fabric pulled against all the others.

Whatever you decide, I wouldn't wish my bleeding problem on anyone!