Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt regarding setting up to quilt.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-regarding-setting-up-quilt-t128002.html)

GGinMcKinney 06-05-2011 08:26 AM

I wash on the hottest temp and dry on the hottest temp so whomever receives the quilt can't wash or dry it any hotter than it has already been through. Works so far.
Small projects for bazaar where time is important part of cost involved I presoak. If it doesn't run I don't wash. Need to get some of that "stuff" at the store to catch the color. Must put it on shopping list.

MarySews 06-05-2011 09:47 AM

i almost always wash as soon as it comes in the door. the next washer load that works (color's etcl), in it goes. One piee at a time and then I just do not thnk about it -- everything in my stash is washed.

dunster 06-05-2011 10:05 AM

The reason your grandmother didn't pre-wash might be because she wasn't using new fabric. I pre-wash everything (unless it's meant for a OBW).

Iamquilter 06-05-2011 10:31 AM

I always prewash.

Qbird 06-05-2011 10:58 AM

Talking about washing, how about a blue jean quilt, with flannel back, want the seams to RAG , so do you wash it a couple of time and dry it once? OR wash AND dry it a couple of times?

Marilynsue 06-05-2011 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by girliegirl
ok, do you wash or don't you wash your material before you quilt? I didn't prewash, I don't think my Grandmother ever did either...

I only prewash REDS!

dunster 06-05-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Qbird
Talking about washing, how about a blue jean quilt, with flannel back, want the seams to RAG , so do you wash it a couple of time and dry it once? OR wash AND dry it a couple of times?

Wash individual fabrics before cutting. Flannel is notorious for bleeding and shrinking. If the blue jeans are used, they're probably not going to shrink or run. I have only needed to wash and dry the quilt once after snipping the seams. It rags plenty on the first try.

kwiltnutt 06-05-2011 11:52 AM

I always prewash. I'm thinking your grandma used old clothing so it would already be washed??

StitchinJoy 06-05-2011 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by girliegirl
ok, do you wash or don't you wash your material before you quilt? I didn't prewash, I don't think my Grandmother ever did either...

In 1976, I sewed a red white and blue baby quilt for my niece. I didn't prewash. Well, the quilt was red, pink,and blue after one washing. Not nearly as patriotic for the Bicentennial baby!

Ever since that time, I prewash.

I find that today I am sensitive to lots of the fabrics too. I can get itchy hands and welts from a day of fabric shopping. I don't know if it is the modern dyes, finishes, sizing, or what. But I am just better off prewashing.

Suzy 06-05-2011 12:53 PM

If you have recently purchased the fabric, I have also noticed it just keeps raveling. I have Moda that I'm very disappointed in right now. It is also flawed in many places. At almost $10.00 a yard I expect better quality than what I have gotten the last 2 purchases. Mine is the Dragonflysummer line now. Going to contact them and see what they have to say. When buying yardage I don't expect the quilt store to have to look at 5 yards of fabric before cutting it.

Good Luck to you

Suzy