Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are quilt shops profitable? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-shops-profitable-t91084.html)

ladyredhawk 01-16-2011 12:49 PM

if you could travel and buy big to get it cheaper and you could sale cheaper than your competition. that's the way walmart did it so they could sale so cheap. but they quit so what do i know LOL!!!!!!!!

Baby Catcher 01-16-2011 01:29 PM

It's a nice fantasy when I drag myself out of bed at 2 am to deliver a baby. I know the reality is that it would be alot of hard work. I can still dream.

tomilu 01-16-2011 01:31 PM

Depends on a number of factors. We have a number of them in Wichita KS that seem to be doing well.

RevPam 01-16-2011 02:22 PM

You must have classes! My LQS has a huge selection of classes that seem to always be full. Then when in class, you always have to buy something, thread , fabric, batting, scissors. I've probably spent more money on classes and the needed supplies (and the things I forgot to bring) then I would spend just shopping.

butterflywing 01-16-2011 02:46 PM

the fabric stores near here are offering classes and machines and notions. the machine stores are offering classes and vacuum cleaners. they all offer servicing and scissor sharpening.
i think they're all having trouble making it on one category alone.

Kooklabell 01-16-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Baby Catcher
It's a nice fantasy when I drag myself out of bed at 2 am to deliver a baby. I know the reality is that it would be alot of hard work. I can still dream.

Dreaming is what its all about!

marthe brault-hunt 01-17-2011 02:57 AM

Is there any class for people that want to open business at your local college.Here in Quebec province the course would be titled Entrepreneurship.They give information about the required permits, how to pick a location, taxes etc... They also help you to make a business plan, your bank manager will appreciate it and there will be less hidden surprises. Good luck in your enterprise.

liminanc 01-17-2011 04:11 AM

I would think you should also have a big online presence. I buy about 1/2 my fabric online, because of convenience and I don't always like the choices my small LQS offers. I like bright colors and lots of batiks. I prefer to shop locally since I like to see the colors in person. I also will travel to a guilt store I love. Today I am making the 2.5 hr drive to Keepsake Quilting in NH and do the trip usually 3-4 times a year. I always figure I will open a quilt store when I hit the lottery and don't need to make a profit lol. I owned a dog grooming and supply store for about 8 years and between health insurance costs and putting in 60 hrs a week it was not worth it. The problem with a quilt shop is when times are tough people cut back on the nice to have's not the have to have's and the fabric budget can be cut back on to buy food, heating oil, gas etc... good luck and if you open let me know, I will be taking a road trip to visit.

lots2do 01-17-2011 05:12 AM

And just know that I've heard that shop owners have no time to sew or quilt once they've gone into business. (I heard this from shop owners that I know).

OmaForFour 01-17-2011 05:30 AM

You are absolutely right about the servies and running the shop yourself. I have thought about this also but there are two shops close by me so I think it would be overkill. Too bad, though, because I have a nice large cabin on my property and would not have to pay rent for a space.

Originally Posted by samifel
As the old saying goes "Location, location, location". I also have played with the idea of owning a quilt shop. I lost my job a year or so ago and received a decent severance package, but have yet to take that step. I live in eastern Maine in what has been called the poorest county in Maine. I think if you can keep your overhead low enough and run the shop yourself or with one other person to start with, it might make a go. I don't think you can rely on the sale of fabric, but more so in the services you would offer and the classes etc. Those are my thoughts for what it is worth. Good luck if you decide to take the plunge.