Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are quilt shops profitable? >

Are quilt shops profitable?

Are quilt shops profitable?

Old 01-16-2011, 12:14 PM

This is kind of a spin off from the what do you like in quilt shops thread. I practice in a very busy inner city hospital and my fantasy job is to work in a quilt shop. I have it all designed in my head :-D My question is in this economy can you make a living from owning a quilt shop? What do you all think?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Cyn

I would bet you can't but that's just a quess.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:15 PM

You could if you were near me!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:19 PM

I've been in business for myself for almost 40 years but not quilting related...darn it!!....and it is very important you have at LEAST a YEARS worth of expensives in the bank before you even think of turning a profit. It might happen in a month but trust me, to get a bank loan for a start up business, you will need to show the bank you understand how hard it will be and you have the resourses to stay out of default. My guess would be you need about $100.000.00 to find a building, insurence, utilities, advertising, remodeling, finding and hiring workers and then stock with bolt after bolt of fabric. Yes, you will need tax numbers and a very good business accouant to do the books....there is so much more than ''just opening the doors for business''........

jodi in leavenworth
Old 01-16-2011, 12:21 PM

I suspect it depends on how much of a living you want to make. But with the right business plan, location, traffic, demographic, it could be successful.

I was in a quilt shop yesterday that has both quilt/fabric products and a line of machines. This lets them offer classes for both the sewing/quilting and embroidery enthusiasts.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I think a quilt shop can be profitable if it is in the right location and the owner knows what the customer base wants. Good customer service is a must.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:22 PM

As the old saying goes "Location, location, location". I also have played with the idea of owning a quilt shop. I lost my job a year or so ago and received a decent severance package, but have yet to take that step. I live in eastern Maine in what has been called the poorest county in Maine. I think if you can keep your overhead low enough and run the shop yourself or with one other person to start with, it might make a go. I don't think you can rely on the sale of fabric, but more so in the services you would offer and the classes etc. Those are my thoughts for what it is worth. Good luck if you decide to take the plunge.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:24 PM

We have a new LQS that opened up here about two years ago. Within a year they had to move into a space twice as big as where they started out. Last year they won an award for "Best New Business" in town. I think that was a Chamber of Commerce award. Everytime I've been in there it's packed. The service is great and they have everything mentioned in the other "What do you like in a quilt shop" thread.

So..... it's possible!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I think a quilt shop can be profitable if it is in the right location and the owner knows what the customer base wants. Good customer service is a must.
I think this applies to any small business especially in the craft area - scrapbooking, stamps, beading, etc....
Old 01-16-2011, 12:42 PM

My thoughts are if you sell sewing machines, thats where the profit is. Fabric not so much as the cost wholesale per yd has gone beyond $5.00. Research a lot and ask other shop owners.