Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are quilt shops profitable? >

Are quilt shops profitable?

Are quilt shops profitable?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:27 AM

The shop I was talking about is in Renton, WA.

Originally Posted by geosprouter
I live in a small town about 20 miles north of Spokane, Wa the population is about 4,000. We have a Quilt store that is going into it's 5th year. It is not a big store but, they have a nice selection of fabric, they have a handi quilter that they will train you on and then let you rent, they have classes and seem to be doing well. It is great to have a LQS and I try to support them as much as possible. They are friendly and helpful.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by harryb1834
This shop practically sold nothing on its website. How can you do that in 2011?
- Harry
Sad situation... I really feel for the owner!

It's probably easier than you think, to have a website that "doesn't work".

Anybody can build a website these days, but there is so much more that has to be done, behind the scenes, to make a website find-able. And even if you've done all the right things to build it, still it will take months or years build up an online following.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jodimarie
I've been in business for myself for almost 40 years but not quilting related...darn it!!....and it is very important you have at LEAST a YEARS worth of expensives in the bank before you even think of turning a profit. It might happen in a month but trust me, to get a bank loan for a start up business, you will need to show the bank you understand how hard it will be and you have the resourses to stay out of default. My guess would be you need about $100.000.00 to find a building, insurence, utilities, advertising, remodeling, finding and hiring workers and then stock with bolt after bolt of fabric. Yes, you will need tax numbers and a very good business accouant to do the books....there is so much more than ''just opening the doors for business''........

jodi in leavenworth
What a very very sensible lady, this is where SO many fall by the wayside.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:27 PM

[quote=Baby Catcher]This is kind of a spin off from the what do you like in quilt shops thread. I practice in a very busy inner city hospital and my fantasy job is to work in a quilt shop. I have it all designed in my head :-D My question is in this economy can you make a living from owning a quilt shop? What do you all think?[he/quote]

No, I don't. I would suspect that everyone says "Oh yes, I'll buy fabric from you!" but when you need to charge enough to make a living, and not just GIVE fabric away, the tune will change to "Oh, fabric costs so much I have to go to Walmart, (or order it cheaper online or whatever)." Around here, it seems the only shops that survive are those that do something ELSE, too, like machine repairs or long arm services. My friends and I tossed around the idea for quite a while, but in reality the numbers just aren't there if you really need to make a living at it.