Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt show vendors cash or plastic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-show-vendors-cash-plastic-t49092.html)

gollytwo 06-10-2010 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by racnquilter
All three...cash, cc, check

ditto - just make sure you have photo ID if paying by check; most vendors want to see it.

GrammaNan 06-10-2010 10:24 AM

Credit card first, (Consumer Protection) and if all else fails pay cash.

Chigger Holler Quilter 06-10-2010 11:44 AM

Are you kidding! Just don't take your husband! LOL
Have loads of fun! (Be sure to wear comfortable shoes!)

craftybear 06-11-2010 03:11 PM

credit cards, cash and checkbook

I am going on Friday with our quilt guild taking a bus from Indiana

maryb119 06-11-2010 04:36 PM

I take cash and lots of change (coins) and a credit card. Just a tip...when using your credit card, make sure you are given YOUR card back from the vendor. There are so many people at a large show that it is easy for the vendor to get confused about who's card is who's. They also appreciate the exact change for purchases because sometimes, they run out of change in their change box.

Kathy N 06-11-2010 04:37 PM

both, use plastic where ever possible save the cash.

Susan P 06-11-2010 04:51 PM

I take all three, but use my card whenever possible. Several vendors of the shows I have attended do not take cards. I'm not fond of writing checks but I like to save my cash for vendors that don't take cards or checks. Either way, I never seem to have much trouble spending my money!

Babs194068 06-12-2010 03:14 AM

I have been to this quilt show. Great show, awesome shopping. that's where I met Eleanor Burns great lady. Ami Simms and her Alzheimer quilts were there the following year another awesome lady.

Where comfortable shoes and plan on spending a lot of money. Long way from the parking garage, but well worth the walk.

patricej 06-12-2010 03:23 AM

refusing to take all three of the most common spending tools (cash, credit, debit) is poor customer service. the vendor is telling you that he's doing you a favor by taking your money. :hunf:

checks can bounce so we shouldn't fault a vendor who wants to protect himself from shady strangers.

if you lose cash, it's gone. if you lose your debit/credit card, a quick call to bank security will protect you from fraudulent charges.

i save up and set a budget before i go. i carry only enough cash for incidentals such as snacks and meals. the rest goes on plastic. i track the charges against my budget. when that's spent, i stick to window shopping. when i get home, i send a payment to the card company to cover what i spent.

Susan P 06-12-2010 04:41 AM

I have had vendors tell me that they were not able to get a booth with the right kind of set-up for linking to the credit card company. Sometimes they will do credit "the old fashion way", with those clunky machines. I'm not all that comfortable with that way because your credit card number is on the receipt. If they have the really old ones with carbon, I ask that they tear it up and I watch them do it.

I also understand why the smaller companies may not take cards. The fees are awful. Their only option is to pass that on to us. I would rather pay cash and pay less.

I volunteer at a non-profit thrift store, and the credit card fees that are charged really cut into their profits.