Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt show vendors cash or plastic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-show-vendors-cash-plastic-t49092.html)

adrianlee 06-12-2010 05:14 PM

Take both, good shoes for all the walking. Even greater to take a quilting buddy with you and leave the hubby at home.

jgriinke 06-12-2010 07:14 PM

I only like to take cash - that way - there is NO paper trail for my DH to see. ;-)

penski 06-12-2010 07:59 PM

i would take both that way if you run out of one you have the other to use!!!!

Dani 06-12-2010 08:45 PM

Take both. I wouldn't use your credit card if they manually slide it and it creates a "hard" copy that they keep which has your credit card number on it. Pay cash to those vendors or write a check. Otherwise, you can use your credit card....if you pay it off every month!!!!! Danio

mrs. fitz 06-13-2010 07:06 AM

Cash and credit card, both. And comfortable shoes - I always bring my favorite flip flops to change into if necessary - and a bottle of water.

MistyMarie 06-13-2010 07:16 AM

My sister had a booth at a quilting expo a few months ago. It was a one-time affair and she said the fees to do credit cards (along with the additional cost to get power and a phone line to her booth) would have not been cost effective. She told customers that she would ship to them if they wanted to go to her website and use PAYPAL if they did not want to pay cash or write a check. Only a few got upset that she wouldn't take a credit card. She ended up selling out by the end of the show on Saturday, despite not accepting credit.

I think the smaller expos attract more "Mom and Pop" type booths that cannot afford the fees for credit cards. The larger expos (that charge upwards of $700 to rent a small booth) probably all take credit cards.

I am going to one of the big ones here in Denver next month and I am definitely taking all three... just in case.

mom-6 06-13-2010 07:25 AM

Depending on the location of the show, and sometimes even of the location within the building, vendors may have difficulty getting good reception on the link to the card processing company, especially if they are using a wireless card machine. I've also been at shows where the landline links were not all connected properly. Really frustrating for both vendors and patrons, no matter what the venue.

OHSue 06-13-2010 10:33 AM

Don't forget comfy shoes and make sure to go to the North Market for lunch, just a block from the convention center. I think all the vendors take plastic, but it is easier to budget if you use cash.....yeah, I know, that was crazy talk.
See you there!

reginalovesfabric 06-13-2010 10:55 AM

I always take my little brother he has more money than I do, he likes to buy me fabric

sewjoyce 06-14-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
I always take my little brother he has more money than I do, he likes to buy me fabric

Can I borrow your little brother for a road trip :lol: :lol: