Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt stores/places to visit (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-stores-places-visit-t247539.html)

allie1448 05-28-2014 04:26 PM

Quilt stores/places to visit

My husband and I are planning a short trip away travelling from Whitby, Ontario to Pennsylvania. Just a three to four nights we plan to,look for,interesting places and of,course good quilt stores. I would love to know if anyone has any suggestions of stores, towns, places etc to visit/stay Thank you, any and all help appreciated

IrishNY 05-28-2014 04:57 PM

What will your route be? Where will you cross into the US?

citruscountyquilter 05-28-2014 06:26 PM

I don't have suggestions for this area but whenever and wherever I travel I seek out quilt shops. It's a great way to see a variety of styles and fabric is what I buy for souvenirs. Hope you have a great trip!

Claire Voyant 05-28-2014 06:32 PM

If you have iOS, there's an awesome app called "Quilt Shops". Type any US city into the search bar and it maps the quilt shops.

Have be a safe and wonderful trip :)

Onetomatoplant 05-28-2014 06:44 PM

Check out Needle In A Haystack in Sherman, NY, near Findley Lake. It's a fabric outlet that does retreats and it's BEAUTIFUL! Here's the link. www.needleinahaystackretreat.com. And because of the retreats, they're not open Friday through Sunday. Enjoy PA!

allie1448 05-29-2014 01:59 AM

We are flexible on our route either crossing into the USA via Niagara or At Kingston so we will probably enter on one route and exit by the other thereby making sure we do not backtrack and see as much new stuff as possible

Originally Posted by IrishNY (Post 6735315)
What will your route be? Where will you cross into the US?

allie1448 05-29-2014 02:02 AM

Wow this looks amazing! Thank you they are absolutly on our list to visit.

Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant (Post 6735423)
Check out Needle In A Haystack in Sherman, NY, near Findley Lake. It's a fabric outlet that does retreats and it's BEAUTIFUL! Here's the link. www.needleinahaystackretreat.com. And because of the retreats, they're not open Friday through Sunday. Enjoy PA!

NJ Quilter 05-29-2014 02:40 AM

Where in PA are you planning to go? It's a big state! If you're headed to the Lancaster area, there are some great shops along with Old Country Store which has just re-opened. If you can give us some target areas maybe we can give you some more hints/clues. Enjoy your trip.

mpspeedy2 05-29-2014 04:19 AM

I suggest that you google quilt shops on the internet. My husband and I were going to the Lancaster, Pennsylvania area a little while back. He went on line and made a list of various quilt shops he found there that would be in our general traveling area. We discovered that many of them were closed or totally out of business. We should have called ahead before we wasted our time driving up there. We ended up going to the Lancaster Quilt Show in downtown Lancaster at the time because there was nothing else. As a hand quilter I was disappointed as most of the show was devoted to the marketing of long arm machines.

NJ Quilter 05-29-2014 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 (Post 6735696)
I suggest that you google quilt shops on the internet. My husband and I were going to the Lancaster, Pennsylvania area a little while back. He went on line and made a list of various quilt shops he found there that would be in our general traveling area. We discovered that many of them were closed or totally out of business. We should have called ahead before we wasted our time driving up there. We ended up going to the Lancaster Quilt Show in downtown Lancaster at the time because there was nothing else. As a hand quilter I was disappointed as most of the show was devoted to the marketing of long arm machines.

Sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience in the Lancaster area. I agree most of the show is geared towards long arming and there is little there for hand quilting (I'm one also). But I still enjoy the show when I go (not every year). There are still a number of great shops in the area there. I'm able to get lots of quilting stencils and other supplies at the shops there that are not generally available to me locally. It's close enough for me, as well as having a business need, to go whenever I like. In fact, will probably go again in the next couple of weeks. Need to get my shopping list in order!