Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt stores/places to visit

Blog Entries

Quilt stores/places to visit

My husband and I are planning a short trip away travelling from Whitby, Ontario to Pennsylvania. Just a three to four nights we plan to,look for,interesting places and of,course good quilt stores. I would love to know if anyone has any suggestions of stores, towns, places etc to visit/stay Thank you, any and all help appreciated

What will your route be? Where will you cross into the US?
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I don't have suggestions for this area but whenever and wherever I travel I seek out quilt shops. It's a great way to see a variety of styles and fabric is what I buy for souvenirs. Hope you have a great trip!

If you have iOS, there's an awesome app called "Quilt Shops". Type any US city into the search bar and it maps the quilt shops.

Have be a safe and wonderful trip

Check out Needle In A Haystack in Sherman, NY, near Findley Lake. It's a fabric outlet that does retreats and it's BEAUTIFUL! Here's the link. www.needleinahaystackretreat.com. And because of the retreats, they're not open Friday through Sunday. Enjoy PA!
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

Blog Entries
    We are flexible on our route either crossing into the USA via Niagara or At Kingston so we will probably enter on one route and exit by the other thereby making sure we do not backtrack and see as much new stuff as possible
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
    What will your route be? Where will you cross into the US?

Blog Entries
    Wow this looks amazing! Thank you they are absolutly on our list to visit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
    Check out Needle In A Haystack in Sherman, NY, near Findley Lake. It's a fabric outlet that does retreats and it's BEAUTIFUL! Here's the link. www.needleinahaystackretreat.com. And because of the retreats, they're not open Friday through Sunday. Enjoy PA!

Where in PA are you planning to go? It's a big state! If you're headed to the Lancaster area, there are some great shops along with Old Country Store which has just re-opened. If you can give us some target areas maybe we can give you some more hints/clues. Enjoy your trip.

I suggest that you google quilt shops on the internet. My husband and I were going to the Lancaster, Pennsylvania area a little while back. He went on line and made a list of various quilt shops he found there that would be in our general traveling area. We discovered that many of them were closed or totally out of business. We should have called ahead before we wasted our time driving up there. We ended up going to the Lancaster Quilt Show in downtown Lancaster at the time because there was nothing else. As a hand quilter I was disappointed as most of the show was devoted to the marketing of long arm machines.

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
    I suggest that you google quilt shops on the internet. My husband and I were going to the Lancaster, Pennsylvania area a little while back. He went on line and made a list of various quilt shops he found there that would be in our general traveling area. We discovered that many of them were closed or totally out of business. We should have called ahead before we wasted our time driving up there. We ended up going to the Lancaster Quilt Show in downtown Lancaster at the time because there was nothing else. As a hand quilter I was disappointed as most of the show was devoted to the marketing of long arm machines.
    Sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience in the Lancaster area. I agree most of the show is geared towards long arming and there is little there for hand quilting (I'm one also). But I still enjoy the show when I go (not every year). There are still a number of great shops in the area there. I'm able to get lots of quilting stencils and other supplies at the shops there that are not generally available to me locally. It's close enough for me, as well as having a business need, to go whenever I like. In fact, will probably go again in the next couple of weeks. Need to get my shopping list in order!

Blog Entries
    Off of route 6 in Tunkhannock PA is a lovely quilt shop, Endless Mountain quilt Shop. In Intercourse PA, there is Old Country Store and Zooks. Both have great prices and a big selection. Another nice shop is Ladyfingers in Oley, PA. Countryside is beautiful in all of PA. Enjoy.

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    for pa. martin's in cumberland has table after table of flat folds for 3.79; burkholders,sauders, stop in shady maple for lunch, then there is a good's shop there for $2 per yard. next day go into lancaster and hit all the shops there. have a wonderful time and be safe.