Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilter has my quilt, not working on it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilter-has-my-quilt-not-working-t256480.html)

Judi in Ohio 11-09-2014 06:03 AM

Your mother needs to call her and see what is happening. If the quilt was wrapped up in the frame she may have had to resew parts or mend it or get more batting or backing. She's not quilting if her frame is wrapped up - btw - how does that happen? I have a long arm and I am struggling to visualize how that happened.
You need answers and calling her and asking is not out of line. Then cross her off your list - this was no way to handle this problem and your mom was so excited about gifting this quilt, and not giving a heads up is unprofessional besides being rude.
Good luck to your mom.

nabobw 11-09-2014 06:15 AM

Sure hope it is not the same quilter that I took mine to. I was told the same thing happened and it took forever to get it and when I did she did a bad job on it.

Rennie 11-09-2014 06:54 AM

Is there a way to check the member list to see who lives in your state/city? I agree that someone who knows quilting would probably be willing to help you out. I don't know that much about quilting - just learning - but I would be willing to do so if it was near me also.

Originally Posted by psychonurse (Post 6961620)
I am so sorry and disappointed this has happened to you mom and her quilt. Since you (daughter) don't live where mom and quilt are, check the list of us members where mom lives. Some one of us might be willing to go retrieve her quilt for her.
I would do it.

twinkie 11-09-2014 07:17 AM

Totally unacceptable. I feel badly for your Mother.

AZ Jane 11-09-2014 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6961063)
When the quilt is finished and you have it in your hands let her know you will not be using her service again and you will not recommend her if asked. Walk away and don't look back. She is self absorbed and will play the victim as long as it gets her off the hook. I have been around too many people like that to have any sympathy or understanding for lack of decency on their part. That wide eye look of poor me doesn't have any effect on me at all.

Thank you for telling it like it is! There is a point where being nice no longer works.

sewbizgirl 11-09-2014 08:26 AM

It seems like everything is going to be alright with this quilt, she just needs to know that you have a time crunch and need to know when it will be finished. If you communicate with her often I'm sure she will make finishing it more of a priority. The squeaky wheel getting the grease and all....

Friday1961 11-09-2014 10:03 AM

>>>>>I had a "reputable" quilt shop in my area keep my quilt for five months without quilting it. I did received several telephone calls from the owner giving excuses like I've been very busy, I have to go pick up my grand daughter to keep for a while, etc. <<<<<

This is the kind of excuse that I find unreasonable in people who set themselves up as a business. What is her priority? I understand the demands of being a grandmother -- I'm one, too -- but if she were employed outside the home, how would this excuse be accepted? Emergencies happen, yes, but if they occur too often, perhaps it's time to decide one should not also have a business.

somoquilter 11-09-2014 10:04 AM

I'm so sorry this happened to your mother! This is totally unacceptable.
This is the sort of situation that makes us longarmers cringe. No way that this is ok.
There has been good suggestions given here. Let us all know how it turns out.
(we have quilted one customer's 6 quilts in days before so I know what can & can't be done)

madamekelly 11-09-2014 10:33 AM

Send her a certified letter informing her that unless your quilt is finished in two weeks, you will be considering legal action. She is a business, and owes her customers at least marginal customer service. She has not done this. Time to show her what happens when you breach a contract. Her ignoring you is inexcusable. You have trusted her enough, to hire her, to help with a step in your project, and she has treated it like an favor instead of a business deal, which she agreed to. She made a business deal, and must be forced, if needed, to honor her agreement. Just because she works from home does not entitle her to act like this. In this world you are born with a name and reputation, hers have both been proven unreliable. Hobbies are hobbies, but she chose to make it a business and ethics is severely lacking. Get your quilt back, on the two week deadline, and make sure to leave a notice on "Angie's List" describing exactly what happened to you, so others are warned.

pewa88 11-09-2014 11:09 AM

I am a longarm quilter and I do not understand what happened??!!! How does a quilt backing get caught in the machine? Seriously, can anyone answer this? My question is why did the quilter not contact this lady about the problem? Does she not realize this is bad for business? I am following this and just shaking my head. I sure hope it gets resolved and there is a good outcome for both. Also, I do not think she should charge for this quilt.