Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter has my quilt, not working on it! >

Quilter has my quilt, not working on it!

Quilter has my quilt, not working on it!

Old 11-08-2014, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Default Quilter has my quilt, not working on it!

My mother has visual problems so I am asking this for her:

I made a quilt for my son's birthday in October. I took it to a reccommended long arm quilter and told her it was a gift.
I was supposed to have it back in September.
When I inquired about it, she said she had a couple girls taking out stitches. I got worried and sent my son to check on it, since I don't drive.
He saw it on the frame and the backing had got caught up in the frame and got sewed up.
So they have to rip it out.
He said it appeared that no one was working on it at all. This was two weeks ago, which was the last week of October.
Yes, ds birthday had come and gone. It was his 60th so I was really excited to make it for him as I do have some visual problems.
I've made other quilts and got nice responses from friends and family about them.
I just don't know what to do about this situation.
I feel like she may be a good long armer, since I trust the person/business that told me about her, but I feel like she may not be a good business person or something, bc I feel like I am getting the run around.
I don't want to offend them bc she has my quilt and she is a very nice person, but I'm so disappointed and just want my quilt finished.
What should I do? I can't take the stitches out myself.

Last edited by Mousie; 11-08-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:34 AM

Would it be possible for you to have someone drive you over there and meet with this person face to face? Let her know how disappointed you are about not having the quilt finished in time for the birthday, especially since she said that you 'd have it back in September. I'm sure she wouldn't want a poor recommendation from you to other potential customers.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

As someone who quilted for others, it is a difficult tight rope that we all have to keep on schedule. You have to be very polite to this woman otherwise she will not be motivated to get the quilt done. She may have had an illness or death in her family that set her back. She just may have taken on MORE work than she can handle. I would have your friend call or email this lady once a week nicely asking when she can expect her quilt finished especially since she seems to have missed her commitment of getting it done as it was a birthday gift.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

call the person who recommended her and she if she or he will help you. Seriously. It may work. word of mouth can ruin someone's business and as soon as this long armer knows that may happen, your quilt will be finished. good luck.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

thank you all for your replies. Sounds like some good advice here.
I am going to read these to my mother, so if anyone has any more
comments, please keep them coming.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:22 AM

As far as I am concerned it is not acceptable to keep your quilt this long without even notifying you...especially since you wanted to give it as a gift..I would not use her again and I would let her know ...I would stash up day over night to meet a deadline..that is just poor customer service...
Old 11-08-2014, 08:03 AM

I've never sent a quilt out to be quilted, so I'm unfamiliar with the standard practices. Isn't there a written contract? She should at the least have kept you informed of what was going on. This sounds extremely unprofessional to me. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions about how you should move forward.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I've never sent a quilt out to be quilted, so I'm unfamiliar with the standard practices. Isn't there a written contract? She should at the least have kept you informed of what was going on. This sounds extremely unprofessional to me. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions about how you should move forward.
I've never sent out a quilt either, but you brought up an interesting issue:
a contract.
I'm going to advise my mother, in the future always insist on one
and I am going to do the same if I ever decide to let someone else do
my quilting. thanks!
Old 11-08-2014, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I totally agree. If she was not going to be able to meet the deadline and ran into a problem (family situation) the first thing she should've done was to contact you immediately. I would be livid since a whole month has gone by. She needs to get her hiney in gear and give you a big discount also.
Originally Posted by tellabella View Post
As far as I am concerned it is not acceptable to keep your quilt this long without even notifying you...especially since you wanted to give it as a gift..I would not use her again and I would let her know ...I would stash up day over night to meet a deadline..that is just poor customer service...
Old 11-08-2014, 09:21 AM

Well, this is just terrible. I think the time for being totally polite is over. Call, email, or drop by in person and ask when you can expect the quilt. That information should be available, and with Christmas coming up, this lady might just put your mother's quilt farther down the list, since your mother has already been patient and polite.

Dina