Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilter's ADHD, aka sewing block! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilters-adhd-aka-sewing-block-t195251.html)

TanyaL 07-21-2012 06:14 AM

Try making your next quilt just one big quilt block or even an art quilt. I think all quilts made out of blocks that are the same are very boring to make. If this has happened to you before, why have you made the same sort of quilt again? Make a pattern that will stay interesting to the very end! It may be harder and take longer, but it will be worth it if it is interesting to you.

NanaBass 07-21-2012 06:27 AM

I have the same problem and have about 10 things going on. I like to start with the one that has a deadline. I put on some music and then I find it helps to keep me relaxed. Then I make a circuit of about 6 pieces and I have to accomplish something on them for 20-30 min and then move to the next one and then I start over. :-)

Quiltngolfer 07-21-2012 07:14 AM

I like to work on several projects at a time too. I Like to have the quilts at varying stages of completion so when I get tired of one process, I can move on to the next. Sometimes I just feel like cutting, and sometimes I feel like binding or piecing. I also like to play on the computer while I watch tv. I guess I'm definitely ADD.

Jennie and Me 07-21-2012 05:16 PM

I keep telling myself that if I ever get this queen sized quilt done that I started for my sister two(yes, 2) years ago that I will only do very small quilts from now on. And...to top it all off, said sister will soon be moving in with her children and will no longer require a queen sized quilt. So I guess that one of my daughters will get the quilt..that is, if I ever get it finished. All I have to do is put on the outside border and quilt it. In the mean time, I, too, play computer games and work on other quilts. That's how I roll!!

Podunk Princess 07-21-2012 05:41 PM

I have this problem, too. I used to tell myself that I couldn't work on anything else until I finished the project already started but all that did was make it more difficult. I couldn't start a new project because the old one wasn't finished and the old one wasn't finished because I didn't want to work on it ..... and so on and so on. Should have just broke my own rule and worked on what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it because nothing is getting finished this way! I like the 20-minute technique. Think I'll try that and see if that works for me. :-)

franc36 07-21-2012 05:44 PM

I, too, have several projects going at a time. I listen to audio book mysteries on my iPad while I work on quilting. That is the only time I listen to audio books, so I often find myself doing quilting tasks that are somewhat boring because I want to find out "who done it". I find that the monthly virtual quilting day is a real inspiration. It gets me excited about quilting. Also, this board gives me great ideas that I want to try.