Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilter's ADHD, aka sewing block! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilters-adhd-aka-sewing-block-t195251.html)

sew_Tracy 07-20-2012 07:03 PM

Quilter's ADHD, aka sewing block!

I wondered if any others have this problem. I will start a very creative project and go great on it...until...I designate the person who will own my project. I need to get my son's quilt done, but I have become bored with the monotony of the blocks and now avoid it by starting other projects or worse, playing endless hours of solitaire on the computer. How do I make myself get back on the project? What do you do? Guilt does not work for me. That is like showing long-time smokers a black lung. I am sure I only have about 5 more 16-inch blocks to go to complete the main design. At 2 per day, I could be done in 3 days and working on the border. Why do I insist on starting other projects or even avoid everything and stare at a computerized deck of cards where my win percentage is dismal?

Help!:(

Tartan 07-20-2012 07:14 PM

I find doing a repeated block kind of boring as well. Try doing just one block as your first sewing project of the day. Once it's done, have a reward for yourself. Maybe another little sewing project you want to do or that chocolate bar you've been saving. I work much better with a reward system.

sew_Tracy 07-20-2012 08:11 PM

People save chocolate?
But really, great idea!

OneMoreQuilt 07-20-2012 08:15 PM

Welcome from Illinois. Yes bribe yourself.

spokanequilter 07-20-2012 08:25 PM

It is really boring to do the same block over and over.... I try to have another more fun project going at the same time, like a sampler or pieced borders or something. Then, in the morning, I won't let myself work on that fun project until I've made one more block. Pretty soon you'll have them all done and have a good start on the other project as well.... oh, and I really like the chocolate reward suggestion too!! Good luck with it....

Pickles 07-20-2012 09:23 PM

I wondered if any others have this problem. I will start a very creative project and go great on it...until...I designate the person who will own my project.

What I do is never designate a quilt I'm building until I get the putting the label on it and sewing that down then and only then do I take a good look at it and figure who it will go to .Maybe that would help you ..

patticriss 07-20-2012 09:41 PM

Stop doing one block quilts. Do a quilt with a different block for each row. For instance, do a sawtooth star for the first row, then a fence rail, then a bears paw or whatever. That way you don't get bored. You could even include a plain row for the center row and do appliqué all across it. Just a thought.

QuiltnNan 07-21-2012 02:45 AM

to add to patticriss... if you REALLY don't want to be bored, do a Dear Jane :)

NJ Quilter 07-21-2012 05:58 AM

That's why I usually have multiple projects going at the same time. Keeps the boredom down to a dull roar!

homebody323 07-21-2012 06:09 AM

I am sure you are describing me. I have 8 or 10 projects going at the same time. I put the pieces on the lids of bankers or underbed storage boxes. they act as trays. i put them in a shelf near the sewing machine. I also have a timer and use it. Set the time for 15 or 20 minutes. Pick a project and do the 20 minutes. It makes me scurry to do a bunch in that alloted time. Next time pick a different project for the 20 minute treatment. Do something you love to do in between. I usually do the 20 minute thing first in the day. Sort of like doing the worst thing first. Soon you will be saying just another 20 minutes because you can see how much you can accomplish in 20 minutes. Good luck. It makes me happy to know I'm not alone in the the ADD or ADHD world. Actually thought of asking the Dr. for chemical help with this problem. I understand that usually they just give you the RX and if it works, they know you have the problem.