Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting books and magazine Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-books-magazine-question-t298081.html)

doricu2 07-06-2018 09:33 AM

Quilting books and magazine Question

Trying to reorganize my sewing room. I have several Quilting books and many years worth of quilting magazines all organized by what magazine and what year they are. I no longer use them and all are in new like condition. Would like to sell them all very cheaply to be ale to buy more quilting supplies. Does anyone know of a place that buys them, or what do you with them? They are whole years volumes. thanks in advance.

Prism99 07-06-2018 09:40 AM

You can look up your quilting books on Amazon to see the "Used - Like New" prices. You can decide if it's worthwhile to sell them there. It's pretty easy to list them, but there tends to be a lot of competition so they may not sell.

Magazines are expensive to mail because they cannot be sent media rate (because of the advertisements in them). You can try eBay or the SewItsForSale group on groups.yahoo.com, but I'm not sure how well they sell. I ended up giving mine to thrift shops and the local library. The library might keep some of them, but mostly I think they sell them at their annual used book sales.

Annaquilts 07-06-2018 09:53 AM

ebay At least that is where I buy them. You can also sell them on this board. I am interested.

Onebyone 07-06-2018 10:42 AM

My guild's free table is full of magazines every month. Most are new rarely over a year old. All the older ones are never taken so they are bundled up every three months and taken to thrift stores. When I find them at yard sales they are usually .10 each. Quilting books are in a big box and always .50 each or .25 for the thin booklets. I found one very rare quilt book and told the owner of it's worth. She said she didn't want it. I sold it on Ebay for $85 and donated that to the guild's fund for our MSQC trip. Check the book titles for worth before selling really cheap.

SusieQOH 07-06-2018 10:45 AM

If you want to make any money don't go to Half Price. They give you nothing. I took a ton of quilting books but I didn't care about the money. I just wanted them gone.

sewbizgirl 07-06-2018 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 8089092)
You can try eBay or the SewItsForSale group on groups.yahoo.com, but I'm not sure how well they sell.

SewItsForSale is now a group on Facebook. I sell lots of fabric and sewing stuff there. Great place to destash.

teacherbailey 07-06-2018 11:44 AM

Thrift stores.....beware!

I gave a 3 foot high stack of quilt magazines to a thrift store only to find out later that they threw them away, as they do with all magazines! I was heartbroken, since they were still in great shape and could have found good homes. So....Beware!!!!!!!!

dunster 07-06-2018 12:26 PM

As others have pointed out, there's not much demand for quilt magazines. I've started just tearing out any patterns that I like and throwing the rest away. I'm discontinuing almost all magazine subscriptions, but I still find myself buying too many books.

costumegirl 07-06-2018 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8089110)
My guild's free table is full of magazines every month. Most are new rarely over a year old. All the older ones are never taken so they are bundled up every three months and taken to thrift stores. When I find them at yard sales they are usually .10 each. Quilting books are in a big box and always .50 each or .25 for the thin booklets. I found one very rare quilt book and told the owner of it's worth. She said she didn't want it. I sold it on Ebay for $85 and donated that to the guild's fund for our MSQC trip. Check the book titles for worth before selling really cheap.

Onebyone - Would you share the web sites that give the values for quilt books?

joe'smom 07-06-2018 08:44 PM

I list books and mags I don't want on ReUseIt, a yahoo group that facilitates giving away practically anything. You could see if they have one in your city. After looking into it, I didn't think it was worth the time to try and sell used books and magazines on line. Or, you could have a garage sale.