Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Budget (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-budget-t31134.html)

Joan in AK 12-08-2009 07:46 AM

For some reason, starting in late September, I get quilting fever, which means that my buying urges increase. I have just been looking over my purchases, and I need to rein myself in. The problem is that I see projects here on the board, and hear about patterns, fabrics, or notions here or elsewhere and that gets me going again. So I am wondering if people have a quilting budget. Do you allow yourself so much money a month to spend? Do you put a certain amount of money aside each month for future projects? What do you do?
Joan

Esqmommy 12-08-2009 07:51 AM

I spend and it's totally out of control. I have to tell myself not to go to the quilt store. I need nothing right now, just want to keep buying fabrics. Kaffe Fassett is my latest splurge, so I want to build a stockpile of his stuff. Oh my, it gets soooo expensive.

charismah 12-08-2009 07:51 AM

Well I work part-time at my LQS....so I just try to spend no more than what I earn. I like to bring ohome a check ...but if I don't that is fine as long as it doesn't cost me anything out of household fund.

bearisgray 12-08-2009 07:56 AM

It's very easy to buy more than needed and spend more than one "should"

A lot depends on what the household income and expenses are -

If one bought sewing stuff and didn't pay the gas bill - not a good thing.

If there is "extra" money for discretionary items - that can get sticky on who gets to spend it.

I buy in spurts - I can go for a while (now) without buying anything - I've been in and out of JoAnn's and Hancock's- and not seen a thing I wanted badly enough to buy. I do "binge" sometimes when WalMart's seasonal fabrics go on sale. I have a pretty good stash of Halloween fabrics now.

But I have years of accumulation staring at me - and I remember going through my Mom's stuff - - - -

I can relate to the need/desire to acquire - - -

It truly can act like an addiction.

pocoellie 12-08-2009 08:47 AM

I'm on a restricted budget, my husband says no more fabric. I need to sew up at least some of what I've got.

quiltsRfun 12-08-2009 09:40 AM

I'm trying to cut back. DH mentioned he's seeing too many charges on the credit card. But I just splurged and got some layer cakes. Now I'll need the matching yardage. Where's a good place to hide that bill when it comes? :D

Boston1954 12-08-2009 09:43 AM

I am GETTING out of control. I told myself not to start any new projects until I finish some others. However, I keep buying more fabric. I have even dipped into funds meant for other things. I am "attempting" to rein myself in too.

alaskasunshine 12-08-2009 09:48 AM

I learned years ago not to hide purchases from my husband, because I had a friend who did and I was nervous wreck for her. My stomach was in knots. ick! So when I want fabric, I need to rememeber that feeling in my gut. I always ask if it is going to be a big purchase, and I say it will be ok if he says no. But he also has to be ok with me :cry: . I don't have a budget but I usually know when not to ask. I do have quite a stash and always love more. Backing is what I always lack. And batting is getting low cuz fabric is so much prettier to buy...long story...oops! :? BTW my husband doesn't have a budget either for fishing, golf etc. My mom & dad always fought about money...we don't!

Quilt Mom 12-08-2009 09:54 AM

Sometimes I wonder if this September urge goes along with the change in seasons! I start to buy more fabric in the fall, and then spend the winter trying to get it sewn - hasn't happened yet :roll: :lol: Well, I try...

I have a credit card I use specifically for my fabric purchases. I keep the amount to what I can pay off monthly without taking out of the household budget.

And my quilting time, rather than budget, is taken in direct relation to the time my sweetheart spends fishing! :lol: :lol:

RedGarnet222 12-08-2009 10:12 AM

I had a little trouble with hubby at one time about the purchases I was making. But then I sold a couple quilts and crafts for a decent amount of money, and made him a quilt of his own. Now he doesn't mind.

I usually buy with a quilt in mind. (Or a garment) So I am not building up a UFO stach. But, it does look as though I need to do some serious catching up in my material closet. (insert a embarassed face here) Really much of the extra fabric is from people who gave me yards of fabric they had not used.

I think soon I am going to go through and donate some of this to chartity. Then I won't feel so overwhelmed opening that closet.