Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting burnout (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-burnout-t221961.html)

wolph33 05-21-2013 08:34 AM

quilting burnout

Do any of you ever get it?I think I have it-I just can not get motivated to finish a mountain of part done projects.I think I lost my mojo again.I hope it doe not last long and any ideas how to break out of the funk?

ArtsyOne 05-21-2013 08:37 AM

I find that I work in waves. Sometimes I'll do nothing but quilt for a few months and then totally lose interest while I start sewing garments. Then I'll knit for a few weeks and then I'll do nothing but read for a few weeks more. I just go with it - keeps life interesting.

jcrow 05-21-2013 08:41 AM

Oh my goodness! I just came out of a long funk of not sewing. Saturday I finally took a quilt class and am working on my first quilt since January. And I'm not that enthusiast about it. It's slow going. I'm also in a few BOMs and am trying, not too successfully, to catch up on all of them. I just lost my mojo one day and I'm having a hard time getting it back. It seems to be a chore to sew rather than pleasure. But I'm trying to sew every day and hoping I get the bug again.

When I didn't sew at all, I read Jennifer Chiaverini's quilting novels. That kind of brought me around to dipping my toes into quilting again. Maybe buy her first novel and read it. The first one is called 'The Quilter's Apprentice'. They are very engrossing novels. Very well written. I guarantee you love them.

Pat625 05-21-2013 08:42 AM

Can't force it..just relaxx--it will be back!! In the meantime, what else do you enjoy as a relaxing activity?

bearisgray 05-21-2013 08:44 AM

If it isn't a paying job - and it's out of the way - why worry about if?

JeannieT 05-21-2013 08:59 AM

It seems like I have lost my mojo to FINISH stuff !!! I must have 20 different quilting projects waiting to be quilted - Christmas placemats set of 6, 3 Christmas stockings, 1 twin size quilt, 1 oversized lap quilt, a Fall wall hanging, a wall hanging for my laundry room, a large Christmas wall hanging, 2 pet placemats, and that's not even the whole list.....I spent a week with my sister - sewing new stuff of course, and resolved I would ONLY finish stuff when I got back. But NOOOOOO......I started a new pillow sham to go with the unfinished twin quilt listed above.....!!!!!!

seamstome 05-21-2013 09:13 AM

Yes I lose my mojo. Then I feel guilty. Then out of the clear blue sky I decide to quilt about 20 hours in a weekend.

Quilt-T 05-21-2013 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome (Post 6077303)
Yes I lose my mojo. Then I feel guilty. Then out of the clear blue sky I decide to quilt about 20 hours in a weekend.

This is so where I have been since the beginning of the year! But I hope to be re-inspired after we get all packed up and moved! I seem to have an ebb and flow going right now. Hopefully I'll be over it soon!

charity-crafter 05-21-2013 09:26 AM

I go through phases also. If I'm in the mood and can make a comfort quilt for charity in a weekend, but if I'm not I start a new project, and another new project, then I'll cut up my scraps into what ever I'm in the mood to play with most recently 2.5" strips. Last year it was squares. I have piles everywhere. I eventually finish everything or offer them up for adoption with my group.

It may be the wonderful spring weather keeping your quilting juices from flowing. I tend to sew more in the fall and winter.

SweetWoodruffs 05-21-2013 09:27 AM

I will burn out on quilting sometimes, but I will pull out cross stitch, a crochet hook or keep English Paper Piecing. Or sometimes I'll make cards, read 1,000 page book or something like that. I'm almost always doing something creative.