Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Funny (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-funny-t293766.html)

GingerK 01-03-2018 06:55 PM

I think the reference to 'material' comes from growing up with a seamstress. I never heard my mother say that she was going shopping for 'fabric' for a dress--it was always material. But I did here her talk about 'curtain fabric'. Don't know what the difference was in her eyes.

Every time my DH says something about the amount of stash I have, I want to march him out to the woodshed (yes we have one and it is filled with oak and maple and walnut and goodness knows what other pieces that will someday become lovely furniture) and point out the amount of 'firewood' he is storing.

SusieQOH 01-03-2018 07:09 PM

My brother texted me that he loved that "thing" I made him :D
He's adorable- clueless about quilts!

Ginger K- your woodshed story is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!

maryjane 01-03-2018 08:05 PM

It's a minor cringe really but my inner spell checker wants to scream when someone puts "boarders" on their quilt. I always picture the guy you rent a room to climbing onto your quilt center. Now if you want to create a "border" for your quilt to separate it from other segments or the edge I'm fine with that.

Teen 01-03-2018 09:58 PM

I use to irritate my sister-in-law when I kept calling it a bobber instead of bobbin.. Innocent mistake at first...now I do it on purpose.... Hehehe..

Gay 01-03-2018 10:22 PM

Don't know why but I cringe when people talk about 'setting' pieces instead of 'set-in', which is a seamstress' term. It probably started due to a teacher not pronouncing the words correctly or the student not listening.

Also I used to think quilts as I know them now were 'glorified' blankets, as quilts in my younger days were the poorer persons' doonas, filled with shredded cotton threads - and boy they were heavy when washed and wet.

quiltingcandy 01-03-2018 11:20 PM

As the saying goes, " A rose by any other name...."
I grew up going to "House of Fabrics" so saying fabric is not a concern. My grandmother always said she thought I was crazy to cut up fabric only to sew it back together. Her mother was a seamstress but my grandmother was not big on the domestic scene.
I don't care if people call my quilts a blanket - I would be thrilled just to get a thank you note.

quilterpurpledog 01-04-2018 03:37 AM

Words are interesting and so are the perceptions of them. That is so true of material vs. fabric. I prefer to use 'fabric' for quilting but understand the use of 'materia'l. My husband calls my quilts 'blankets' but I can live with that because he thinks they are' pretty blankets'. He grew up with that concept-grew up in a family of quilters-there was friendly competition among those ladies as they made their' pretty blankets'. I just smile and enjoy his comments.

LindaJ 01-04-2018 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 7975731)
Some of us grew up calling it material so it tends to come out at unexpected moments.

That's true. I catch myself doing the same thing.

Jo Anne B. 01-04-2018 04:45 AM

My pet peeve is when people assume all I quilt is heirlooms. No, no and NO! My quilts are to be used, loved and functional. I will never be a heirloom quilter.

jmoore 01-04-2018 04:53 AM

Funny quirks? Hmmm...

I find it amusing when my friends have seen my new sewing studio and ask why do I need three sewing machines? Obviously, they don’t sew. LOL