Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Quilting FuPaw (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-fupaw-t77572.html)

tjradj 11-22-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by asmmauer
I am so sorry that happened I wish they had some kind of protective guard on them that was almost level with blade at least that way we could still cut fabric and be a little safer

My first Fiskars rotary cutter had a really good protection system, it flipped over the blade. The new ones are different. I don't know why they changed them.

Dawneda 11-22-2010 02:06 PM

I'm so sorry you cut your thumb, and hope u get well soon.

CarrieAnne 11-22-2010 02:35 PM

Ouch...hope its getting better! I am actually kind of affraid of rotary cutters, lol, use them only when I have to!

jdeery 11-22-2010 03:00 PM

Girls: I think you need that Accucut thing...? I don't have one
but it sounds a lot safer.

patdesign 11-23-2010 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by CruisingStef
I was studiously working on cutting out my quilt blocks several weeks back. I was having trouble with my rotary cutter skipping, so I figured I would "push" it hard and fast. Well that was really stupid of me to do that, because it slipped and cut my thumb. OUCH!! :XD: I ran to the kitchen crying and bleeding, praying that it would soon stop. Instinctively; I ran it under water, which only made it bleed more but I could see it wasn't that deep. Geez-----how dumb can one be, I got the blood to subside long enough for me to go call for help.

When my friend came, he almost passed out! O.K., he says, lets go to the hospital. No, I cried even more. It's not that bad, just a little blood. "But you've got a flap of skin there that's about to fall off. You need to get to the hospital."
" Alright, but only because I don't want to argue with you."
When we got there, we waited with a blood-soaked thumb for about 15 minutes. Then they took me right into the Fastrac and numbed it to stop the bleeding, and to my surprise they sewed it up with 7 stitches. The rotary cutter went down the middle of my thumb, they say I will lose the nail. I'm lucky though, it could have been much worse, I could have lost my entire thumb.
~~~~But this was only a minor setback.~~~~~

Reminds me of cutting very hard green apples for a pie over 50 years ago, cut the tip of my thumb off, the hospital could only stop the bleeding with a pressure bandage which they said to leave on for 5 days. In 5 days it was numb down to the second joint, and had developed gangrene. Close call. I now have a healthy respect for anything sharp around my hands. Glad you got medical help but keep a close eye on it. :D

patdesign 11-23-2010 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts

Originally Posted by ginnie6
wow! I cut mine a few years ago with a buck knife...index finger and laid it open from first knuckle to end of nail on the side. Bled like crazy. I superglued it, splinted it to keep from bending it and after about an hour of sitting I was back in the kitchen.....I did NOT use that knife anymore though!

Let's hear it for SuperGlue! I cut my ring finger to the bone one Thanksgiving dicing celery. Didn't want to waste time in the ER so just superglued it back together and went on with the dinner preparations. It healed without a scar. Fantastic stuff. Hope you heal up real quick and Happy Quilting!

They use a similar product for a lot of surgery now, they glued my back when I had a disc repaired 5 years ago. It also works to stop bleeding on pet toenails if they get ripped or cut too close. :-D

Tropical 11-23-2010 02:29 PM

I hope it doesn't hurt anymore. I have a problem with my rotary cutter skipping and I have done the same thing. I have been lucky so far that all I have messed up is my fabric. I think I will slow down from now on.

PS: Today is my birthday and I gave myself a present I am sure I will really enjoy. I joined this forum. I love to sew and am teaching myself to quilt.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

patimint 11-24-2010 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tropical
I hope it doesn't hurt anymore. I have a problem with my rotary cutter skipping and I have done the same thing. I have been lucky so far that all I have messed up is my fabric. I think I will slow down from now on.

PS: Today is my birthday and I gave myself a present I am sure I will really enjoy. I joined this forum. I love to sew and am teaching myself to quilt.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Happy Birthday and welcome to the forum. You will love it.

CruisingStef 10-05-2011 08:32 PM

I just wanted to update everyone on my quilting FuPaw. It's been over a year now that I cut my thumb with the rotary cutter. The doctor said that I would lose my nail- I didn't. But I have learned a valuble lesson here. This too was just a set back to me, I didn't let it stop me from quilting. I'm still hard at it.

In fact, I recently put a embroidery machine on lay-away from my LQS. I'm giving myself until March, and then I going to pay it off and get it out. I talked to the owner of the store, and they will provide lessons to teach me how to use the machine.

LyndaOH 10-05-2011 11:19 PM

Glad to hear you've mended well!

What is a FuPaw?