Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Gloves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-gloves-t75928.html)

jitkaau 11-13-2010 06:33 PM

I have some, but find them annoying when I want to fix needles and other stuff. As well as this, the skin peels off my hands if I have them on for too long. Finger stalls fall off the tips of my fingers and I can't move the quilt without something to grip it.
The solution was to see how the English quilter, Patricia Naylor, does it:
To get small squares of that non - slip rubbery matting that is put under glasses or bowls to stop them slipping on trays. One about the size of a coaster goes under each hand. It grips the fabric, can be easily repositioned, and your hands are free to thread needles etc without having to take the gloves on and off all of the time.

marlene tarzwell 11-13-2010 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by teddysmom
Does anyone use them? What is the purpose and do they work?

I would be lost without them. I am learning on my own and have sewn right through the middle of my index fingernail. Not once but twice. I still didn't learn and twice I had the needle go through the tip of a finger. Sure hurt like the dickens!!! A friend said I need them. So now I always wear them so I don't get carried away and my fingers slide forward on the fabric. Now I have a good grip and I can hold onto fabric.[especially fleece] So I highly recommend them. They aren't expensive. I have even gotten gloves with little dots[I guess garden gloves] from Harbor Freight.But I love the ones that are thin with rubber finger ends and I like the ones I got from Hobby Lobby. Connecting Threads have them too. Good luck!!

Berta48 11-13-2010 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I have the Machingers gloves. They are great for FMQ

What is FMQ!

Free Motion Quilting.

seleyrn 11-13-2010 06:37 PM

I use them, helps me grab the fabric especially if doing free motion. I just pick them up when I go to the flea market . Pretty cheap there sometimes $1.00 per pair.

Berta48 11-13-2010 06:38 PM

Machingers!As Tony would say ..."They are GRRRRRRReat!
I had some others but no comparison!

jitkaau 11-13-2010 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I have the Machingers gloves. They are great for FMQ

What is FMQ!

It is short for Free Motion Quilting. You drop the feed dogs on your machine, raise the presser foot, and move the quilt around under an active, threaded needle, by pushing/pulling with your hands. You judge the speed. It is usually an even speed with both machine and quilt. Some people like fast speed with the machine and slow movement with the quilt.

Arleners 11-13-2010 07:06 PM

I have used gloves, but they bother me. I forget where I saw this, but a famous machine quilter suggested cutting some squares from the rubber shelving mat. It's the same stuff people put under the sewing machine pedal. Put these squares on the quilt and rest your hands on them to move the quilt through the machine. I find it works well.

flybreit 11-13-2010 07:22 PM

I have some Machingers, which I like; a friend told me about GrabARoos, which I LOVE! Cooler and more flexible than Machingers IMHO. And they're PURPLE :D Good luck!

seasaw2mch 11-13-2010 07:47 PM

I suggest you try the Grabaroos. You could get small and they stretch to fit your fingers. I am sure they would fit.[/quote]

Thanks will have to look into them

danade 11-13-2010 07:48 PM

Machingers are the best for any kind of machine sewing--not just quilting, but not good at all for hand piecing or quilting or any other kind of hand sewing--not possible to hold or manipulate a hand needle with them. But for machine sewing--absolutely, absolutely the best, IMHO. (Although I haven't tried Graberoos, and haven't seen them--where do you find them?)

Dana