Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   for quilting instructors - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-instructors-t262091.html)

zozee 03-05-2015 09:56 PM

You're saying she toots in more ways than one?

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7115403)
Ohh! I have a type of student that the co-student in me has a hard time with.... The one who wants to sit in the front row and is very,....uhhhh... gassy. Seriously, by the time most of us are taking adult learning classes, we have an idea of the foods we don't digest well. A few days away from them is a blessing for all of your class mates.

Has anyone found a delicate way to deal with this one? I'm guessing it's not blurting out "whew! Someone can't handle their eggs!"

Yes, this one's from experience. I actually avoid classes she's going to be in because she's also the loud toots her own horn student.

ArchaicArcane 03-05-2015 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 7116927)
You're saying she toots in more ways than one?

LOLOL! I think I just woke hubby up laughing!
Yes, she toots in all ways, except when they're silent and it takes you a few seconds to figure out why your eyes are watering!

zozee 03-05-2015 10:37 PM

Ewww, that's just nasty. Maybe you could inconspicuously write on her own supplies list "Gas X" ?

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7116928)
LOLOL! I think I just woke hubby up laughing!
Yes, she toots in all ways, except when they're silent and it takes you a few seconds to figure out why your eyes are watering!

ArchaicArcane 03-06-2015 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 7116939)
Ewww, that's just nasty. Maybe you could inconspicuously write on her own supplies list "Gas X" ?

*snort* That might just be worth trying to get there before she does. Somehow I never manage it and always have to sit behind her.

bearisgray 03-06-2015 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7117666)
*snort* That might just be worth trying to get there before she does. Somehow I never manage it and always have to sit behind her.

Do you think it would be any better upwind?

Must be some potent gas!

ArchaicArcane 03-06-2015 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7117730)
Do you think it would be any better upwind?

Must be some potent gas!

This is a good point... it sort of wafts outward, doesn't it? Perhaps it's more the feeling of being placed in front of the cannon than actually being in the fire path... no word of a lie, the one day my eyes were watering!

eastermarie 03-06-2015 03:41 PM

I agree with all the comments made. Especially with JanieH on the cell phone issue. That's a big problem around here as well as not coming prepared, or late.

Tothill 03-06-2015 04:54 PM

I have to comment on this as a woman who has suffered from IBS for decades. I am careful about what I eat for my own sake. I work in an office environment and do not want to be known for being gassy or running to the loo every 15 minutes.

But when the IBS flares up and it can at a moments notice, I am embarrassed and try to leave the company of other people. If I spent my life worrying that I may or may not have the runs or gas, I would never leave the house.

So maybe be a bit more gentle in your criticism, I know it is not pleasant, but it is not like she has doused herself in strong perfume.

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7115403)
Ohh! I have a type of student that the co-student in me has a hard time with.... The one who wants to sit in the front row and is very,....uhhhh... gassy. Seriously, by the time most of us are taking adult learning classes, we have an idea of the foods we don't digest well. A few days away from them is a blessing for all of your class mates.

Has anyone found a delicate way to deal with this one? I'm guessing it's not blurting out "whew! Someone can't handle their eggs!"

Yes, this one's from experience. I actually avoid classes she's going to be in because she's also the loud toots her own horn student.

ArchaicArcane 03-06-2015 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tothill (Post 7117994)
I have to comment on this as a woman who has suffered from IBS for decades. I am careful about what I eat for my own sake. I work in an office environment and do not want to be known for being gassy or running to the loo every 15 minutes.

But when the IBS flares up and it can at a moments notice, I am embarrassed and try to leave the company of other people. If I spent my life worrying that I may or may not have the runs or gas, I would never leave the house.

So maybe be a bit more gentle in your criticism, I know it is not pleasant, but it is not like she has doused herself in strong perfume.

Tothill, you're right, I was a little insensitive. I apologize for that. I will mention that the classes we've attended together included meals and that she avoided none of known trigger foods. I was on an elimination diet to see if I could "fix" some tummy issues a few years ago and the doctor suggested that IBS might be a possibility so I am familiar with the diet. It's possible that she's afflicted and doesn't know how to deal with it yet.

ETA: I should add - I would genuinely like to know how someone with this affliction would least be embarrassed though if they were approached. Ignoring the elephant in the room doesn't work well when others are bothered by the situation.

coopah 03-06-2015 06:05 PM

I like the instructor to guide me on the next step, but not to come and do it for me. It's also good if they are prepared and don't have to read the pattern directions to themselves several times. In other words, let me do what has been discussed and be prepared. In return, I'll be your best student ever!!