Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A quilting journal??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-journal-t221119.html)

running1 05-09-2013 12:26 PM

A quilting journal???

Hi there... my quilty friend and I are sharing a lovely day today... I just finished hand quilting my DH's quilt (which was begun 5 years ago... not the quilting, the cutting, etc.) ANYWAY... we are sitting here talking about starting a quilt journal. We're both fairly novice quilters, even though we've been doing this for several years. We're always amazed at how many quilts others turn out...

So, here's my question... Do you journal?? Can you give the "high points" of how your journal? Is it a simple three-ring binder or something more special???

Thanks all for your input!!

KimmieH 05-09-2013 12:34 PM

I never did a journal..but thinking about a simple photo album..maybe a scrapbook?

SHELTIE'SMAMA 05-09-2013 01:18 PM

I have pictures, but as some of my own quilts are on the multi-year plan too I have learned to keep a written record of info like the settings in a book I keep in the sewing room. Has come in handy more than once. However, there are some pitfalls to this system, such as your machine croaks and your new one has or doesn't have xyz.

donac 05-09-2013 01:37 PM

I have been trying to keep a journal about some of the things I have been working. I try to write in it any time I work on something so it is really a handwork journal.

donac 05-09-2013 01:40 PM

I do keep a journal of my handwork. I try to write in it every time I work on something. I did come across an old journal that had some pictures in it. It reminded me of a quilt I had made almost 20 years ago that I had forgotten about.

Aylahopper 05-09-2013 01:48 PM

I am staring on a quilting journal. I've just taken some photos of past projects to add to it. And would like to start it at the beginning of my quilt life.

With current/future items I plan to add things like the stitches used, material type, start of cutting, sewing and such. Does that sound to ambsious?

TheMayqueen 05-09-2013 01:57 PM

I started a quilting journal some time ago and made it like a photo scrapbook. Two pages per quilt, one photo and a page of description and then decorate highly lol
there are so many pretty scapbooking things available now. My journal is just a ring binder about 5 x 10 inches. For the pages I use coloured card to match the quilt I'm showing. Then I just use co-ordinating papers and stuff that suits the quilt and the story behind the quilt.
if there is room on the two pages I include 1 inch squares of the fabrics used in the quilt otherwise I make a third page and use bigger fabric squares.

ckcowl 05-09-2013 02:23 PM

i use a spiral bound sketch book- i write notes, there are sketches, pictures, (vital details, such as date started, finished, who it's for, why, name of it, materials used) thoughts, oopsies, great new lessons learned- what ever comes to mind- sometimes a quilt starts in my journal- if i'm jotting something in it & an idea comes up- i may turn the page & start a sketch- may tweak it, work on it- or draw a big black X across it...i trouble shoot in my journal- ... i have 7 or 8 of them- i write the "end date" on the cover of the sketch book when it's full & I'm starting a new one- then i can pull one out & look at things i did years ago- it's fun to sometimes look back & see one you totally forgot about-

ILoveToQuilt 05-09-2013 02:40 PM

I keep a "quilt journal". Every quilt I make, I record the pattern, where I found/bought it, the fabrics used and where purchased, what inspired me to make that particular quilt, and if it is a gift and for whom. I also take photos of the top and back and add these to the journal. I have a section for projects that I want to make, UFO's and why they have become UFO's (sometimes revisiting this section re-inspires me and the UFO becomes a finished quilt). Rereading my past journals it is interesting to see how my quilting (or my taste? LOL) has evolved over the past 15 or so years.

Happy Quilting!

alleyoop1 05-10-2013 03:09 AM

Do not journal but am working on a photo book of all my quilts.