Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A quilting journal???

Blog Entries

A quilting journal???

Hi there... my quilty friend and I are sharing a lovely day today... I just finished hand quilting my DH's quilt (which was begun 5 years ago... not the quilting, the cutting, etc.) ANYWAY... we are sitting here talking about starting a quilt journal. We're both fairly novice quilters, even though we've been doing this for several years. We're always amazed at how many quilts others turn out...

So, here's my question... Do you journal?? Can you give the "high points" of how your journal? Is it a simple three-ring binder or something more special???

Thanks all for your input!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

I never did a journal..but thinking about a simple photo album..maybe a scrapbook?

I have pictures, but as some of my own quilts are on the multi-year plan too I have learned to keep a written record of info like the settings in a book I keep in the sewing room. Has come in handy more than once. However, there are some pitfalls to this system, such as your machine croaks and your new one has or doesn't have xyz.

I have been trying to keep a journal about some of the things I have been working. I try to write in it any time I work on something so it is really a handwork journal.

I do keep a journal of my handwork. I try to write in it every time I work on something. I did come across an old journal that had some pictures in it. It reminded me of a quilt I had made almost 20 years ago that I had forgotten about.

I am staring on a quilting journal. I've just taken some photos of past projects to add to it. And would like to start it at the beginning of my quilt life.

With current/future items I plan to add things like the stitches used, material type, start of cutting, sewing and such. Does that sound to ambsious?
    Happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you have.

I started a quilting journal some time ago and made it like a photo scrapbook. Two pages per quilt, one photo and a page of description and then decorate highly lol
    there are so many pretty scapbooking things available now. My journal is just a ring binder about 5 x 10 inches. For the pages I use coloured card to match the quilt I'm showing. Then I just use co-ordinating papers and stuff that suits the quilt and the story behind the quilt.
    if there is room on the two pages I include 1 inch squares of the fabrics used in the quilt otherwise I make a third page and use bigger fabric squares.
    Last edited by TheMayqueen; 05-09-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    i use a spiral bound sketch book- i write notes, there are sketches, pictures, (vital details, such as date started, finished, who it's for, why, name of it, materials used) thoughts, oopsies, great new lessons learned- what ever comes to mind- sometimes a quilt starts in my journal- if i'm jotting something in it & an idea comes up- i may turn the page & start a sketch- may tweak it, work on it- or draw a big black X across it...i trouble shoot in my journal- ... i have 7 or 8 of them- i write the "end date" on the cover of the sketch book when it's full & I'm starting a new one- then i can pull one out & look at things i did years ago- it's fun to sometimes look back & see one you totally forgot about-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I keep a "quilt journal". Every quilt I make, I record the pattern, where I found/bought it, the fabrics used and where purchased, what inspired me to make that particular quilt, and if it is a gift and for whom. I also take photos of the top and back and add these to the journal. I have a section for projects that I want to make, UFO's and why they have become UFO's (sometimes revisiting this section re-inspires me and the UFO becomes a finished quilt). Rereading my past journals it is interesting to see how my quilting (or my taste? LOL) has evolved over the past 15 or so years.

Happy Quilting!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Do not journal but am working on a photo book of all my quilts.

I keep track of the quilts I make in a personal blog online. Not a lot of detail, just something to look back and see what I've done with my time.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone for responding to my questions!! I can certainly see the benefit of keeping a journal. It is now on the to-do list. We jokingly (sort of) talked about how we'll NEED to shop for a cute journal notebook now... Or decorate one... either way, it should be fun!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    I keep track of the quilts I make in a personal blog online. Not a lot of detail, just something to look back and see what I've done with my time.
    I have a personal online blog that I maintain about my quilting. I have a picture of all the quilts I have made since starting the journal, humorous readings, handy dandy tips, reviews of products I have used etc. I know that I would never be a scrapbooking type of person. The blog works perfectly for me, my family and friends
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

I would not say that I keep a journal, but more of a list. I keep it up to date. Every quilt has a number, a name, I put information of who it's being made for, how I feel about it, the size of the quilt, how I got the idea for it, and the date that it was completed. I also take photographs of the quilts when they are in progress, and when they are done. If possible, I get pictures of the person I gave it to. All of this, along with pictures I've seen online, ideas, possible sencils, and several other things are in a flash drive, backed up by two other flash drives. This might seem like a lot of work, but I like to make sure the information will be there if someone else is interested years from now, when I am gone.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Nice blog. Mine is much more primitive than that ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I try to take pictures of all my quilting and sewing projects. I forget every once in a while and gift it before I remember that I need a picture of it. I usually just add a copy of the quilt label to the page. Of course, I am behind again. But it gives me a record of my accomplishments. I do challenge you to attempt something- however simple or complicated. Whatever works best for you.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

I journal on a daily basis - just a few lines a day in a day planner. I keep track of things I've been working on but haven't taken pictures - that will probably be the next part now that I have a printer - I'll take pictures of what I do and put those in the planner also. It is easy to forget what one has done during the year.

I journal on an excel spreadsheet with all particulars, when started, who did the quilting (mostly me), when finished, type of batting, who for, pattern name, fabrics used, and of course a picture.

Mine's just a notebook with a photo of the finished quilt and handwritten notes at the bottom. I use one page per quilt. I write down where I got the pattern or what pattern it is, who it was for, and the year completed. I haven't written down how long it took to make the quilts. Often the thinking about it (deciding what I want to do) takes longer than doing it. I don't think i've ever documented how long it takes to shop for fabrics - but it's 1-2 hours if all the fabric you need is in one local store. But now there's enough stash to just use that most of the time. Then it's just running out to get something I'm out of.

Been quilting 23 yrs. Some of my quilts are a fading memory, no record. Some I can't remember details.

Shoulda kept a journal. So I'm interested in this thread. Need to put this on my priority list.

Blog Entries
    I can certainly see why I SHOULD have been keeping track of these things!! I really wish I'd paid attention to the batting I used in DH's quilt... it bearded a LOT... mostly on the first time I pulled the thread through, but other times, the whole length of thread... I tried different threads, too, and had the same problem... so I must have used poor batting? wish I knew!!

Anyway... I'll be starting a journal!!! Have to get some yard work finished first, though... It has finally turned to spring and my yard is calling for help!!!

I am thinking of creating a binder (it's what my Mom is using). So far my information is not organized but one thing I do create is an index sheet for each quilt with fabric samples. This is useful when creating a quilt and if I ever finish one, a great record of what fabrics were used.

I also want to create a sample or example book. When I forget how to do something, being able to look at a sample is really helpful and read any hints or suggestions.

I'm a new sewer/quilter, and I've been taking notes and pictures along the way and plan to place in a binder (as reference to both me and my daughter). I wish my mother had done this - I have a couple of her applique quilts and she can no longer remember how she made them.
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

Blog Entries
    A 3 ring binder is perfect. I like to have it hands on. Some do it right on their PC.

I like to include a picture of the pattern

2" sq samples of the fabric I am using. I sew them right onto a piece of paper and then right down the selvage info next to each fabric. This is not an absolute rule. If it is a scrap, it's a scrap.

As I progress I include the type of thread I use if I know. And the techniques involved too.

Who it is for or enter in shows, even local guild shows.

If I get paid for a quilt.

Add some progressive pictures and one of the label.

I also like to add daily thoughts and insights, jokes and adventures.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop