Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which quilting magazine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-magazine-t190457.html)

sak658 06-02-2012 07:35 PM

I have only subscribed to "Quilt" love it...now I look thru it at Walmart, if there is something in there I like, I get it..I have tons of them...I liked them because they always had the vintage patterns and I love those...now they are getting more modern with their patterns..but I still like the mag...

Pat G 06-02-2012 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5255767)
I used to subscribe to a whole gaggle of them. Then I realized that I look thru them once or twice and then they go on my bookshelf. I let all the subscriptions run out. Recently, I got my final issue of "Quilters World" and I'm sad. I think I will probably have to renew this one. I really enjoy it!!!

I agree with you since Quilters World is the only one I continued to take after cancelling all others. I've now stopped taking QW but I still sit & go through my older issues. There are so many free patterns avail. online there just doesn't seem to be a reason to take magazines anymore.

I've often found free patterns of pcs. that I had either seen in mags. or bought.

sew_southern 06-02-2012 10:13 PM

American Patchwork & the Quilt magazines are my favorites from the newstand, I used to subscribe to them at one time. Now they all seem to have the same style of patterns just in different colors, and the info is basic stuff. I do enjoy the magazine Mark Lipinski writes for now, I think it's Fabric Trends, not sure. I like to read quilt related stuff, not just all patterns.

burchquilts 06-02-2012 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie (Post 5255822)
McCalls Quilting is a favorite and I should subscribe to Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting since I buy it every issue. I try not to stock up on so many magazines, but I can't help myself. I have all the patterns I need and will have to live to be at least 200 to get them all done. lol
Sue

I take those two & also Quick Quilts. But I'm thinking about letting my subscriptions expire because there are so many great free patterns AND only 24 hours a day... LOL!

CAJAMK 06-03-2012 06:17 AM

I have received McCall's for a few years now and I really enjoy it. I know you can get items on the internet but sometimes it is just nice to hold a magazine or take something tangible to the beach or pool to read.

YukonViv 06-03-2012 07:50 AM

I think you first have to decide what kind of magazine are you looking for?

I haven't any subscriptions but I do buy every issue of The Quilting Life and Primitive Quilts.

I prefer a background story and techniques over countless patterns. I actually don't enjoy magazines that are just patterns...I need to read something. I enjoy making things up so teach me a technique and I'm a happy quilter.

Knitnoid 06-03-2012 08:02 AM

Over the past 10 years I've probably subscribed to most of the magazines -- but not at the same time. At the moment I'm not subscribed to any. My tastes and the magazines have evolved. Currently I flip through them at the store and only buy it if I like two or three patterns/articles or there's that ONE which I keep coming back to. Now having said that I'm leaning toward subscribing to a couple, but I just haven't done it yet. First is Quiltmaker - this is primarily for Bonnie Hunter's Addicted to Scraps column. I'm considering Quilter's Newsletter because there's always something interesting in it. I may also re-join American Quilter's Society to get American Quilter Magazine.

Dino 06-03-2012 08:06 AM

I subscribe to Quilters Newsletter, Fons and Porters and Quiltmaker. I love all 3, but Quiltmaker is my favorite and the first one I ever subscribed to in the 90's.

babyboomerquilter 06-03-2012 08:23 AM

I think McCalls is a good one. Most all of them have easy, intermediate and hard patterns to choose from.

nstitches4u 06-04-2012 01:25 PM

Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting, Quilter's World, Easy Quilts, American Patchwork and Quilting, McCalls Quilting, Quilts and More and I just bought Mary Fons' new Quilty magazine. What can I say---I'm a quilt magazine junkie. lol I love them all, but Love of Quilting and Easy Quilts are my favorites. The only magazine I didn't renew is Quilter's Newsletter. It is a good magazine, but I like magazines with patterns for quilts that I can make. QN doesn't have many patterns and the few that it does have are beyond my ability as a beginning quilter. Maybe when I grow up I will be confident enough to try some if them and I will subscribe again. lol