Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting not for me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-not-me-t304110.html)

lindsayfarm 04-12-2019 07:30 AM

I haven't made that many quilts. I just got back into it this year after not sewing for 14 years. I have fun. One of the reasons I enjoy quilting so much as I was told years ago there is no right or wrong in quilting, its your design. So if you can get over a few mistakes than no one else will care. Enjoy the fun, its relaxing and makes me happy to see the face on my friends when I give one to them. Happy Quilting. No one is perfect.

AStitchInTime 04-12-2019 07:51 AM

Quilters are Artists, artists need not be perfectionist.

The only people of hand that I feel Need to be perfectionist are Bomb Disposal Experts

onemoe 04-12-2019 08:33 AM

I love to make the tops,but quilting is not for me. my mind goes blank. i have a very good quilter who does mine

kacie 04-12-2019 08:59 AM

In my world, a finished quilt is a perfect quilt.

jclinganrey 04-12-2019 09:22 AM

If I wanted a perfect quilt, I'd still be working on my first quilt & never would have moved on to other projects. IMHO, there is only One Master Quilter & it's not me!

Peckish 04-12-2019 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 8239239)
Just wondering how your question came about.

Me too. Have you met with the Quilt Police, who are truly such miserable people they only feel good about themselves when they have torn down everyone around them? My father was this type of personality.

Personally I like to strive to be the best I can be, and turn out the best work that I can. I love a good challenge. This sometimes involves ripping out seams or re-doing something because I know I can do better. If this is what you call "perfectionist", then so be it.

cathyvv 04-12-2019 11:57 AM

Only if you want to be a perfectionist. My personal motto is 'Done is better than perfect!'

Just start out slow, don't go crazy buying fabric and the mythical 'best' sewing machine. If you find out you enjoy piecing a quilt together, then think about going crazy.

crafty pat 04-12-2019 12:00 PM

I quilt because it is a relaxing hobby, something I love doing. I do my best to make them as beautiful as I can. I will never be a perfectionist I will never enter one in a show I just make them as best I can. Anytime I would have to make them to anyone else's standard I would stop as it would not be relaxing or a pleasure for me any more. Do your best and enjoy.

HouseDragon 04-12-2019 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8239395)
No one is perfect... heck, we probably cannot agree on what that even means. But we all have our own standards of what is good work, and should try to do the best we can. With practice we get better and more accurate quilting results. I re-sew seams if I think I can make them better the second (or third) try. Why not? The “galloping horse” theory doesn’t work for me because I am not looking at my quilts from a galloping horse. We each decide for ourselves what level of flaws we can live with.

To me, it would be sad if we didn’t continue to try our best with each piece we make.

You said exactly what I was thinking.

My Mom always said "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing your best."

My friends would probably tell you I'm a perfectionist but that doesn't mean I'm perfect: it means I'm going to spend the time to make what I'm creating as perfect as I can make it.

Why bother spending your precious time making a "good enough" quilt?

junegerbracht 04-12-2019 01:32 PM

Everyone’s idea of perfection is different just as everyone’s idea of good enough is different.