Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting notions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-notions-t287930.html)

Boston1954 05-01-2017 03:59 PM

I have some stencils that I have never used. I mostly make my own. Oh well. Live and learn.

ArtsyOne 05-01-2017 04:28 PM

I picked up a light-up seam ripper at a garage sale just because it struck me as funny. I can't imagine a situation where I'd be ripping seams in the dark.
On another note, one class I took required the purchase of a "purple thang". Didn't use it in the class and haven't used it for anything ever. Still annoyed that I spent the money.

sewbizgirl 05-01-2017 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 7815487)
I picked up a light-up seam ripper at a garage sale just because it struck me as funny. I can't imagine a situation where I'd be ripping seams in the dark.

That is funny! You can bring it to a quilting sleepover retreat and be the life of the party! :D

bj 05-01-2017 04:38 PM

When we moved last year I found stuff I forgot I had. Packed them up and tried to find a better more accessible way to store them. Let's just say it's a work in progress.

quiltingcandy 05-01-2017 05:23 PM

I'm a gadget fan too. Quilting, cooking, various other items - I love them, so at shows that have all those places showing off the current new gadget, I watch, usually pick it up, then put it back and keep walking. If I keep thinking about it, then I know it is something I want and go back to get it. (If it is sold out, then it wasn't met to me.) Not all are winners but most are fun.

Kwiltr 05-01-2017 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 7815487)

This made me laugh out loud, really!! I saw someone working on a Celtic knot quilt and was so intrigued, I went out and searched the Internet for the out of print pattern and bought it, waited for the bias tape makers to come on sale as well as used a coupon at Joanns to get the mini iron the lady was using to apply her appliqued knots. They are all still in the packages years later! Ugh! Shhh, don't tell my husband! I try and exercise a bit more restraint these days....:D

AliKat 05-01-2017 11:05 PM

I bought quite a few notions usually because an "expert" or a close friend has recommended something. Things that were maybe nifty but definitely not needed. I've been paring down my studio a bit and donating to my quilt guild & quilt group. Now I don't buy much besides bobbins, bobbin holders, rotary blades [love the new Olfa titanium blade though], and thread.

klswift 05-02-2017 06:03 AM

That is so funny! Those are 2 of the things I use so very often. I find my strips are so much better now that I use the strip ruler and I use the clips on several of the items that have thicker bits (the microwave soup pot holders, the fold n stitch wreaths, etc). I guess this is the reason the notions dept is so big - something for everyone.

popover 05-02-2017 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by klswift (Post 7815825)
That is so funny! Those are 2 of the things I use so very often. I find my strips are so much better now that I use the strip ruler and I use the clips on several of the items that have thicker bits (the microwave soup pot holders, the fold n stitch wreaths, etc). I guess this is the reason the notions dept is so big - something for everyone.

Being very frugal (read poor) I usually find a way to use what I already have.

minibarn 05-02-2017 06:06 AM

Well, I tend to be a notions gal too, but my biggest problem is putting them somewhere that I won't forget about, then when I want to use them...can't find them!