Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quilting notions

quilting notions

have any one ever bought a quilting notion and then wondered why i bought it was cleaning my sewing room ans found some old notions that i dont use and then wonder why
    asking a quilter to mend is like asking picasso to paint your garage

Sure have! I figure I must have a good reason before...even if I can't remember why now!
    Sue

Yup!!

Binder clips. I find it easier to use long straight pins that I would have otherwise discarded because they had a bend in them.

June Taylor ruler - the square one where you can cut several strips at a time. I just don't use it.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    i bought a Big Foot and have never used it and didn't find a need to when doing my curved piecing
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    Ok, too many to count. All stashed in their spot in my sewing room. Who knows, someday I might need that specific notion.

I love quilting tools and gadgets. They are small and easy to keep so why not? It's fun to see the old tools become new again.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Yup!!

Binder clips. I find it easier to use long straight pins that I would have otherwise discarded because they had a bend in them.

June Taylor ruler - the square one where you can cut several strips at a time. I just don't use it.
    Too funny, I use my June Taylor every (?) day. I LOVE it. Mine is almost worn out after all these years of use. Is this "one man's trash is another man's treasure" ?

Banned
    Nope. If I don't NEED it, I don't buy it.

I try not to buy too many gadgets - so many times they really aren't needed and just take up space in my drawer.

So many unused notions that, I make a point to gift them whenever we have a "basket drawing" at the quilt show. At least they go to a good use. Maybe.

I have some stencils that I have never used. I mostly make my own. Oh well. Live and learn.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I picked up a light-up seam ripper at a garage sale just because it struck me as funny. I can't imagine a situation where I'd be ripping seams in the dark.
    On another note, one class I took required the purchase of a "purple thang". Didn't use it in the class and haven't used it for anything ever. Still annoyed that I spent the money.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    I picked up a light-up seam ripper at a garage sale just because it struck me as funny. I can't imagine a situation where I'd be ripping seams in the dark.
    That is funny! You can bring it to a quilting sleepover retreat and be the life of the party!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

bj
    When we moved last year I found stuff I forgot I had. Packed them up and tried to find a better more accessible way to store them. Let's just say it's a work in progress.
    If I'm too busy to quilt, something else has to go.

I'm a gadget fan too. Quilting, cooking, various other items - I love them, so at shows that have all those places showing off the current new gadget, I watch, usually pick it up, then put it back and keep walking. If I keep thinking about it, then I know it is something I want and go back to get it. (If it is sold out, then it wasn't met to me.) Not all are winners but most are fun.

This made me laugh out loud, really!! I saw someone working on a Celtic knot quilt and was so intrigued, I went out and searched the Internet for the out of print pattern and bought it, waited for the bias tape makers to come on sale as well as used a coupon at Joanns to get the mini iron the lady was using to apply her appliqued knots. They are all still in the packages years later! Ugh! Shhh, don't tell my husband! I try and exercise a bit more restraint these days....

I bought quite a few notions usually because an "expert" or a close friend has recommended something. Things that were maybe nifty but definitely not needed. I've been paring down my studio a bit and donating to my quilt guild & quilt group. Now I don't buy much besides bobbins, bobbin holders, rotary blades [love the new Olfa titanium blade though], and thread.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    That is so funny! Those are 2 of the things I use so very often. I find my strips are so much better now that I use the strip ruler and I use the clips on several of the items that have thicker bits (the microwave soup pot holders, the fold n stitch wreaths, etc). I guess this is the reason the notions dept is so big - something for everyone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by klswift View Post
    That is so funny! Those are 2 of the things I use so very often. I find my strips are so much better now that I use the strip ruler and I use the clips on several of the items that have thicker bits (the microwave soup pot holders, the fold n stitch wreaths, etc). I guess this is the reason the notions dept is so big - something for everyone.
    Being very frugal (read poor) I usually find a way to use what I already have.

Well, I tend to be a notions gal too, but my biggest problem is putting them somewhere that I won't forget about, then when I want to use them...can't find them!

[QUOTE=QuiltnNan;7815344]i bought a Big Foot and have never used it and didn't find a need to when doing my curved piecing[/QUOTE

I have one of those too! I want to try it with the new rulers for our reg machines!?

I only buy notions for patterns that I want to do that are in my bucket and then only on sale and I will use for more then one pattern. I watch Joanns (our closest fabric store)for coupons of 50% and up for notions & batting.

On another note, one class I took required the purchase of a "purple thang". Didn't use it in the class and haven't used it for anything ever. Still annoyed that I spent the money.
    Ha I have more then enough purple thangs. They are one of the cheapest notions to buy so I got most of them as a gift, secret pal, etc.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    You know I have a good idea for all those "what did I buy this for". You could send them to barbarakibler23. She could incorporate them into her mystery package give away.
    Just an idea.
    Never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow may never come.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Ha I have more then enough purple thangs. They are one of the cheapest notions to buy so I got most of them as a gift, secret pal, etc.
    OH! send those Purple Thangs my way! I keep them everywhere and use all of them! At the sewing machine, long arm, my chair, and my bucket with all the pockets that goes with me to class...on and in my Bionic Gear bag! I use the pointy end as a stylus..and the square end fights RIGHT between the ends of my quarter inch foot. Keeps the seams going the right way when I am piecing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast