Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting notions >

quilting notions

quilting notions

Old 05-03-2017, 09:44 AM

I just found some things I thought at the time I just had to have. I forgot about them and some have never been used. I will be giving them to DD and my DGD who have just started sewing.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:33 AM

I do love notions, tools, rulers. And yes, I did have a plan when I bought it. I just might not remember said plan or have changed my "like" by the time I pull it out again...
Old 05-11-2017, 05:52 AM

I have been quilting for 35 years...and I have every gadget known to a sewing salesman. Some of them were costly..and they are collecting dust. The most valuable tools are a rotary cutter with a good blade, a good pair of scissors, and an Omnigrip 4 X 13 inch ruler, and the irreplaceable seam ripper and a good cutting mat. Hubby and I went to a show in Lancaster PA a few weeks ago and I bypassed the notions stand. I could see his smirk on his face. He knows those gadgets are collecting dust. It is fun to open the draw where I have them stashed and giggle at the idea why I NEEDED that gadget.
Peace and Blessings,
Janet Thomas
Old 05-11-2017, 06:50 AM

I like trying new things so I often will buy something if it looks useful and doesn't cost too much. If it doesn't suit me, I'll eventually get rid of it - either pass it along to a sewing friend or I'll donate it to the guild for their annual sale.

So far I haven't accidentally bought duplicates of anything, but I DO buy multiples of some things on purpose. Like my 6-1/2x24" rulers - my cutting technique needs two rulers, so I use both of those rulers ALL the time.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:54 PM

I love the Shape cut ruler -- have too many purple thangs. Since I moved, I discovered I had more notions and more doubles than I remembered. Now I am trying to keep things together and then weed out what I don't need.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:45 PM

Okay, new quilter here. What is a purple thang?

This thread has me concerned, I just love buying stuff for my chosen craft. You would not believe how many shuttles I have for weaving:-)
Old 05-16-2017, 09:53 AM

Yep-done that. I see a notion used at a quilt show or lqs and think it looks so easy. Then when I get around to trying it I am so confused the notion just gets put away and I feel so frustrated.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post

This thread has me concerned, I just love buying stuff for my chosen craft. You would not believe how many shuttles I have for weaving:-)
Oh dear new quilter...please do NOT be concerned!! Just think of the joy of buying that new little toy and then rediscovering it years later!! We love our quilty things...well, I do.... I have plenty of rulers, clips, pins, cushions, you-name-it... and a lot of it collects dust... but it's still fun!! I'm going to try to use my Purple Thang more... my mom always swore by it!
Old 05-16-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post

A purple thang is (IMO) a wonderful tool, similar to a stiletto. http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...urple+thang.do

Don't worry about buying things for crafting; as long as you can still buy food, I figure it's okay