Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting notions >

quilting notions

quilting notions

Old 05-02-2017, 06:34 AM

[QUOTE=QuiltnNan;7815344]i bought a Big Foot and have never used it and didn't find a need to when doing my curved piecing[/QUOTE

I have one of those too! I want to try it with the new rulers for our reg machines!?
Old 05-02-2017, 06:46 AM

I only buy notions for patterns that I want to do that are in my bucket and then only on sale and I will use for more then one pattern. I watch Joanns (our closest fabric store)for coupons of 50% and up for notions & batting.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
I picked up a light-up seam ripper at a garage sale just because it struck me as funny. I can't imagine a situation where I'd be ripping seams in the dark.
On another note, one class I took required the purchase of a "purple thang". Didn't use it in the class and haven't used it for anything ever. Still annoyed that I spent the money.
Ha I have more then enough purple thangs. They are one of the cheapest notions to buy so I got most of them as a gift, secret pal, etc.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:33 AM

You know I have a good idea for all those "what did I buy this for". You could send them to barbarakibler23. She could incorporate them into her mystery package give away.
Just an idea.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Ha I have more then enough purple thangs. They are one of the cheapest notions to buy so I got most of them as a gift, secret pal, etc.
OH! send those Purple Thangs my way! I keep them everywhere and use all of them! At the sewing machine, long arm, my chair, and my bucket with all the pockets that goes with me to class...on and in my Bionic Gear bag! I use the pointy end as a stylus..and the square end fights RIGHT between the ends of my quarter inch foot. Keeps the seams going the right way when I am piecing!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:51 AM

I definitely have purchased notions that I never have used. I go to a quilt show and when the vendor is giving a tutuorial on a new tool, they make it look so easy then when I get home I feel like I have two left thumbs and can't figure out the process of using it. Hence-the tool goes in a bin and never used. Sad huh??
Old 05-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Last year, oldest granddaughter expressed interest in sewing. So I made her a sewing kit with a lot of my extras including buttons and threads. Still got too much but do not buy much anymore, trying to use what I have ! DD bought me an abundance of pins one year--maybe 8 years ago--still have a lot of those.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:56 AM

I promise myself I won't, I try to practice great restraint, but still, in some mysterious way, quilt notions keep finding their way into my house. Thankfully I have a niece and great niece who are both interested in quilting and so I can "share" with them, especially the ones that seem to magically appear to have mates marching two by two in my sewing room.

I am doing better but still have a weakness for the cute little scissors most often found in displays on the check out counters. My nephew made a board for me with little hooks and now I hang them on it for "art" in my sewing room. And having them displayed like that helps me keep from buying duplicates and also, seeing how many I already have helps to keep me from buying a whole more - I am really trying to limit them to extra special or unique ones.

Last edited by JanieH; 05-02-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:31 PM

June Taylor ruler - the square one where you can cut several strips at a time. I just don't use it.[/QUOTE]

I would love to give a shape cut ruler a home. Ah, someday.........
Old 05-03-2017, 04:55 AM

That's toooo funny, I have the lighted seam ripper & LOVE it! Maybe it's my eyes but I really like it for ripping out seams when the thread is too close to the fabric color or too dark (black on black). Like stated one woman trash another's treasure. But I do have some gadgets that are in the WHAT was I thinking category. I am trying to resist things better now.