Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-patterns-t62181.html)

ragamuffin corner 08-30-2010 08:38 AM

I do not know how to quilt with my machine and I am also new at sewing quilts. Anyway, I purchased this sticky pattern paper for quilters. I tried it on a piece of fabric and it worked for the most part but it was awful pulling all these little pieces of paper that was left in the material.Has anyone else ever used this? Thanks in advance.
Fran

BKrenning 08-30-2010 09:22 AM

What exactly was the sticky pattern paper you bought? The only thing I can think of is pre-printed fusible interfacing (like Quilt Smart foundations) but that doesn't get removed and it doesn't really feel like paper.

franie 08-30-2010 09:25 AM

Was it paper piecing? Or was it that new stuff for quilting borders and such? There is a way to snap Thangles so it comes off easier but I don't know any other way than just tearing away the paper on the other. Usually we go down on the stitch length on the paper pieceing. It will be interesting to see furher comments.

ragamuffin corner 08-30-2010 10:00 AM

It is from a company called Quilting Made Easy. You follow the lines with sewing machine needle. It has tape on both sides of this pattern to hold down as you sew. But what a mess picking out all the little pieces of paper that did not come off when you finished following the lines and pulled the paper back off. It took me hours to pull these pieced out with a pair of tweezers.

ragamuffin corner 08-30-2010 10:02 AM

Oh my gosh! What is a Thangle? It is paper piercing I guess now that you say that. It is a roll of paper from a company called Quilting Made Easy.

ragamuffin corner 08-30-2010 10:03 AM

Boy, do I have alot to learn LOL
Fran from Fl

quiltlady37 08-30-2010 10:22 AM

I am wondering if she had a roll of paper with a design for quilting. I did a border like that once. The border turned out great, but it was kind of a pain tearing away the pieces of paper. They have several different designs on rolls of paper.

ragamuffin corner 08-30-2010 11:25 AM

Yes, that was exactly what it was. I still have to big rolls and it was kind of expensive so I do not want to throw it away.Thanks
Fran

Prism99 08-30-2010 02:33 PM

I tried paper to quilt once (was not the sticky type), but I hated pulling all the little bits from my stitches. Haven't used it since.

Edit: Oh, just read the other posts. If it's Thangles used for piecing, I will use those. To remove the paper better, I crease on the stitching line first. For small bits of paper, I just leave them in the seam figuring they will wash away eventually.

I thought you meant stitching a quilting design on a quilt sandwich through paper. That's what I won't do again!

BKrenning 08-30-2010 02:40 PM

It looks like all the Quilting Made Easy patterns are for quilting--not piecing. Yes, Thangles are a paper foundation for piecing triangles.

I've only quilted over paper once & I used designs I had traced on tissue paper--the stuff in gift bags-- and some vellum. Those are very easy to tear away. Maybe you could trace what you bought onto tissue paper and get your money's worth out of the quilting patterns that way. At one time some quilters were very happy using Press 'n' Seal to trace designs onto and then stick on a quilt to follow but I think getting the little plastic bits out would be just as annoying as your paper.

Another thought is to follow the lines on your quilting paper with an empty needle and then pounce through all the little holes onto your quilt.