Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Pet Peeve (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-pet-peeve-t175445.html)

patdesign 01-16-2012 07:09 AM

Ok heres the thing, everything you all have posted get somewhere on my list, some more than others.lol

bjchad 01-16-2012 09:03 AM

I think running out of bobbin thread is my top peeve. I also hate machine needles that thread front to back rather than side to side. Guess I am showing my age as all my early experience was side to side threading. Also side to side lets you use a regular old wire needle threader for those of us with vision issues. I think I finally solved the losing my scissors at the machine issue. I put one of those command no nail hangers on the machine and have trained myself to hang the scissors up rather than put them down.

babyboomerquilter 01-16-2012 09:40 AM

Doing the project in a time crunch and/or rushed for time.

pacquilter 01-16-2012 09:46 AM

My pet peeve is when I give someone a quilt and they either put it in their guest room or away in a trunk instead of using it on their bed! My other one is when your quilt corners ends up pointy instead of nice 90 degree angles.

DebraK 01-16-2012 09:52 AM

best post out of the whole lot! Bravo ;-)

AnnieH 01-16-2012 03:12 PM

Loved reading this thread. So much of it resonated with me. I've nodded and smiled throughout.

kbishburg 01-16-2012 04:20 PM

Working with fabrics with which it is hard to tell which is the right side (some of the Tongas) and guessing wrong after you have already stitched your block together

sew1096 01-16-2012 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by beadywoman (Post 4873983)
I would have to say that right now my "Mainest" pet peeve is having to share my sewing room with my 22-year-old son. On Friday evenings I really look forward to coming home and disappearing into my sewing room. But since August when DS decided to commute to college, I get home to a horrible mess in my sewing room. So first I have to clean up at least a 12 pack of empty Coke Zero cans, throw away his spit cups, clean all of his paperwork, ear buds, cell phone parts, hair bands, etc. off of my ironing board, clean ashes off of my cutting table, return the hot sauce and dirty dishes to the kitchen, pick up his dirty clothes and the million pairs of socks he has borrowed from his dad, stow his laptop, cds, and various papers, roll his weights under the table, and move any number of other items to uncover my tables. By the time I've got all of this done, my sewing haven has become a sewing hell because I'm so stressed out and upset. And I usually STILL manage to get a sock stuck in the wheel of my sewing chair! LOL

And he's a really good-natured kid that runs to the LQS for me on a regular basis, never batting an eye at the really wierd notes I write to the shop ladies about how cute he is, etc. But we've had the "keep my sewing room neat" conversation so many times now!

And on Saturdays, since he works nights, I can never get in there until 2 or 3 pm. YUCK! That means I SHOULD clean, but I don't - I read quilting blogs!

Wow, for a minute there I thought I had already responded to this question!

This is exactly the same problem I have right now. My daughter and 3 teenage/young adult grandsons have moved back in with me and the 21 yr old one "lives" in my sewing room. He is also the sweetest and most helpful young man except for this issue. I feel bad when I get upset about it but I really would like my sewing room back.

My other big "peeve" is also poorly written directions especially when I'm helping my daughter and daughter-in-law who are both beginning quilters. I really dislike having to rewrite it before I can show them how to follow the directions.

Terrylgl 01-16-2012 06:04 PM

It always looks good in my head too, but then reality happens and it's never perfect. I'm still learning, but pressing is my horror. I'm reading more and more that pressing w/seams open is a good way to try. Certainly couldn't hurt. What do others think on the subject of pressing seams open? Thank you.

bunbytes 01-18-2012 08:32 AM

I cured my kids from that habit. NO ONE touched my sewing scissors, period, but the everything else scissors grew legs. So, when that happened, I would deduct $ from their allowance (both of them) and purchase two sets of scissors. I would get a pair from each of them and they would each have a pair. After awhile we had lots of scissors and the pilfering stopped.