Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is quilting really supposed to be "Quick and Easy"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-really-supposed-quick-easy-t298268.html)

pchp 07-15-2018 10:15 AM

I chose to make the placemats for my son (see my posting under "Pictures") using QAYG for the first time and doing an all-machine binding because I figured they would go quickly enough to finish within a week and I could send them with my husband who will help him move. I think that "quick and easy" is a relative term and that it's nice to have as an option when time is of the essence. Interestingly, my son commented last night that I'm quilting faster now that I'm retired. It does help to have more time, but the techniques were the key for that project.

patricej 07-15-2018 11:21 AM

it was quick + easy = boring

or

it was quick + easy = i'll never let anybody look at it too closely. lol

tranum 07-15-2018 11:22 AM

I prefer “quick n easy” for donation quilts.

bearisgray 07-15-2018 11:22 AM

Some people seem to be able to put things together really quickly -

Some of us have to struggle a bit more -

As long as one is enjoying the process - does it really matter?

AmyBible 07-15-2018 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Every quilter has their own view of what is easy & what is difficult.
And every quilter is at a different stage in their quilting skills.
As long as you go at a pace you like, it's the right pace.
Sometimes I *do* like quick and easy but other times I like complicated with small pieces.

This was a pattern from The Quilter's magazine years ago. I modified it a bit and use it when I teach quilting. I've made it at least a dozen times and can do the lap size (40" x 54" -ish) quilting and machine bound in about 8 hours.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597910[/ATTACH]

I have found that Rail Fence is also fast & easy. :o

PaperPrincess 07-15-2018 12:56 PM

Is quilting really supposed to be "Quick and Easy"? - it's supposed to be anything that makes you happy.

I like patterns with lots of little pieces and as a rule I don't quilt for others, however, if a sibling requests a quilt for a gift, and they need it next week, it's nice to have some quick & easy patterns to choose from.

suern3 07-15-2018 01:37 PM

I agree with PaperPrincess, my thoughts exactly.

SillySusan 07-15-2018 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by AmyBible (Post 8094634)
Every quilter has their own view of what is easy & what is difficult.
And every quilter is at a different stage in their quilting skills.
As long as you go at a pace you like, it's the right pace.
Sometimes I *do* like quick and easy but other times I like complicated with small pieces.

This was a pattern from The Quilter's magazine years ago. I modified it a bit and use it when I teach quilting. I've made it at least a dozen times and can do the lap size (40" x 54" -ish) quilting and machine bound in about 8 hours.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597910[/ATTACH]

I have found that Rail Fence is also fast & easy. :o

Fantastic quilts! Just the kind I love to make! I'm old and I have a huge stash that I'd like to make into as many quilts as I can in the short time I have left. All my quilts now are baby and kid's ones that go to Crisis Pregnancy Centers and Linus Project. I love that your quilts have the organized scrappy look! Beautiful!!

zozee 07-15-2018 02:40 PM

Somehow the word "quick" in the same sentence with "quilting" gives me visions of rotary cutter accidents, sloppy seams, and supernatural intervention for the sandwiching and binding time.

"Easy" is okay, but I'm the kind of person who can complicate anything.

I agree with those who say there are valid reasons to do quick and easy (relative terms) quilts. There may be a baby shower coming with little notice. There might be a sick individual who would appreciate a quilt sooner rahter than later (or there might not be a "later" :( ). Donation quilts for children are often more about the cheerful colors and characters than the time spent on piecing and quilting. Finishing an easy quilt is better than letting a challenging one linger on the UFO pile forever, doing no good to anyone.

Stitchnripper 07-15-2018 02:51 PM

For me, things *could* be quick if I didn't stop every few minutes to check email, play a game on my phone, etc. I am easily distracted but some things are easier than others. I am never in hurry or up against a deadline, so it doesn't matter to me.