Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is quilting really supposed to be "Quick and Easy"? >

Is quilting really supposed to be "Quick and Easy"?

Is quilting really supposed to be "Quick and Easy"?

Old 07-15-2018, 08:02 AM

Default Is quilting really supposed to be "Quick and Easy"?

I see countless ads for patterns described as "quick" or "easy" and I realize that some patterns are easier to cut and piece than others. But, for me, those adjectives don't exactly match what I feel is more of a slow, deliberate process and an art. Or maybe it's me, but I've been piecing quilts for more than 20 years, and although I've learned techniques that have improved my skills, I still don't really find anything quick and easy about it (but I love doing it!). I still enjoy the process of choosing fabrics, and searching for patterns, but sometimes it seems that the faster I try to go, the slower it actually Does go!!

Any opinions/comments?

Thanks.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-15-2018 at 08:28 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 07-15-2018, 08:32 AM

For me, I don't care if is a "quick" or "easy" pattern. If I want to do a pattern I just do it. Like you, I love all of the process of quilting. I take my time and enjoy the process. The more enjoyment I get from making a quilt, I fell that I do a better job. I also have been quilting for more then 20 years.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 AM

For me, "quick and easy" AKA jelly roll or charm square patterns don't interest me. I'm drawn to pinwheels, HST, fading colors from one block to another, applique and almost anything that is done on point. But those are also the techniques that are challenging for me. My color choices are not necessarily the best and I have my daughters double check that for me. I too have learned new techniques to make what ever pattern I choose easier to cut and piece.
That being said, some days everything falls in to place and it is indeed "fast and easy" and I'm amazed at how much I've accomplished in a short period of time. Other days, everything goes wrong and I have to walk away and find something else to do (housework?). As long as I continue to enjoy the process, I'll keep challenging myself and striving for the next block to be better than the last.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:38 AM

Have to add it's been an 18 year learning experience for me.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:46 AM

8 years here and still waiting for quick and easy. Because I do not use pieces smaller that 2 1/2", mine should go more quickly although that doesn't seem to be true. I did not enjoy the jelly roll face quilt, but I do like some easier patterns.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:03 AM

Lol when I read the topic. I don’t know of any quilt to be fast and easy that is pleasing to my eye. Even if it’s a jelly roll race , I need to make sure I take 1/4 in seams. I tend to go more for quilts that have piecings. I get bored easy with so called easy quilts. The jelly roll race quilt - did it once and that was enough- was bored out of my mind. Lol
Old 07-15-2018, 09:23 AM

I prefer the challenging patterns, and I like to enjoy the whole process.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:34 AM

I really don't think there is an easy quilt pattern but I feel if we enjoy the process it really is fun. As far as quick quilt, that really depends on how long we get to sew or piece each day. I am a slow sewer anyway but sure do love the process of making a quilt.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:01 AM

There is no quick and easy for me. I am constantly amazed by pics posted that say "I made this yesterday..." or some variation of that. I love quilting, and every aspect of it. But...it takes me forever! I think and mull for a long time. I may cut, then think, then iron, and then piece. I over think everything. I also can't spend hours on end quilting as there is so much else that also needs to be done. I still love the process though, and just keep plugging along!
Old 07-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

"Quick and Easy" are big marketing words. They think that's what we want. Something for nothing... in this case, time.

The most beautiful quilts have obvious work and thought put into them. But the quickies have their place too. Many people sew for charity and are always looking for attractive patterns that don't take forever to put together. They can make and donate more that way!

Some people don't have the patience to work too long on one quilt. Better they have some quick patterns to make than give up on quilting as being too hard. There's a place for both kinds of quilting... 'quick and easy', and 'slow but steady'.