Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting on a Regular Home Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-regular-home-sewing-machine-t320264.html)

thumbert36 03-14-2023 06:59 PM

Quilting on a Regular Home Sewing Machine

I知 new to quilting, but I壇 like to make a bed quilt at some point (right now I知 learning on bags). Is it possible to do that with a regular home sewing machine? I don稚 have a long arm machine. I知 interested in quilting with free motion designs.

cashs_mom 03-14-2023 07:57 PM

Yes, it is possible. I have a Juki 2200 QVP Mini which is a straight stitch only machine with a large throat. I quilt all my own quilts on it. You don't have to have a longarm to quilt your own quilts. Before I had the Juki, I did a king size quilt on my old Bernina with a tiny throat space. I used Marti Mitchell's Quilting in Sections technique to make it more manageable.

Three Dog Night 03-15-2023 05:58 AM

There are lots of YouTube videos that show quilting on a domestic machine, that is how I learned. Try Angela Walters, Leah Day and Natalie Bonner and remember it takes lots of practice, practice and more practice and doodling designs on paper before trying to quilt is best way to learn designs so doodle, doodle and doodle some more.

cashs_mom 03-15-2023 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Three Dog Night (Post 8592835)
There are lots of YouTube videos that show quilting on a domestic machine, that is how I learned. Try Angela Walters, Leah Day and Natalie Bonner and remember it takes lots of practice, practice and more practice and doodling designs on paper before trying to quilt is best way to learn designs so doodle, doodle and doodle some more.

What she said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Onebyone 03-15-2023 06:51 AM

. The best way to do a large size quilt with a small machine is to do edge to edge. I do top to bottom because it's less bulk under the machine on the right side. Having a big table surface is a must have so the quilt won't fall over the edge. If your machine has the serpentine stitch it will look great, doesn't have to be free motion to quilt. I glue baste my quilts to have them as flat as possible.

thumbert36 03-15-2023 12:42 PM

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing your experiences and advice. This definitely makes me feel encouraged that I値l be able to do it.

quiltsfor 03-17-2023 04:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you are not comfortable quilting a large quilt on a domestic machine, do a Quilt As You Go. You can quilt single blocks, or quilt sections, there are many ways. Quilt As You Go is how I make all my quilts. Here is an example of one I have done. This is on a queen size bed - with overhang on the sides and long enough for a pillow tuck (though isn't tucked for the picture)

I do either free motion quilting or use machine quilting rulers. The quilt pictured was done with a spiral quilting ruler.

thumbert36 03-17-2023 05:06 AM

That痴 a beautiful quilt!

That quilt is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the picture. I知 going to look into quilt as you go. Thank you for the tip.

cashs_mom 03-17-2023 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by thumbert36 (Post 8593088)
That quilt is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the picture. I知 going to look into quilt as you go. Thank you for the tip.

Marti Mitchell's Quilting in Sections is similar to QAYG, I think, but uses larger sections.

thumbert36 03-17-2023 07:27 AM

Quilting in Sections

I知 definitely going to look for that book. Maybe my library will even have it. Thank you!