Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a Regular Home Sewing Machine >

Quilting on a Regular Home Sewing Machine

Quilting on a Regular Home Sewing Machine

Old 03-14-2023, 06:59 PM

Default Quilting on a Regular Home Sewing Machine

I’m new to quilting, but I’d like to make a bed quilt at some point (right now I’m learning on bags). Is it possible to do that with a regular home sewing machine? I don’t have a long arm machine. I’m interested in quilting with free motion designs.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:57 PM

Yes, it is possible. I have a Juki 2200 QVP Mini which is a straight stitch only machine with a large throat. I quilt all my own quilts on it. You don't have to have a longarm to quilt your own quilts. Before I had the Juki, I did a king size quilt on my old Bernina with a tiny throat space. I used Marti Mitchell's Quilting in Sections technique to make it more manageable.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:58 AM

There are lots of YouTube videos that show quilting on a domestic machine, that is how I learned. Try Angela Walters, Leah Day and Natalie Bonner and remember it takes lots of practice, practice and more practice and doodling designs on paper before trying to quilt is best way to learn designs so doodle, doodle and doodle some more.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Three Dog Night View Post
There are lots of YouTube videos that show quilting on a domestic machine, that is how I learned. Try Angela Walters, Leah Day and Natalie Bonner and remember it takes lots of practice, practice and more practice and doodling designs on paper before trying to quilt is best way to learn designs so doodle, doodle and doodle some more.
What she said ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-15-2023, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

. The best way to do a large size quilt with a small machine is to do edge to edge. I do top to bottom because it's less bulk under the machine on the right side. Having a big table surface is a must have so the quilt won't fall over the edge. If your machine has the serpentine stitch it will look great, doesn't have to be free motion to quilt. I glue baste my quilts to have them as flat as possible.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:42 PM

Default Thank you!

Thank you for sharing your experiences and advice. This definitely makes me feel encouraged that I’ll be able to do it.
Old 03-17-2023, 04:38 AM

If you are not comfortable quilting a large quilt on a domestic machine, do a Quilt As You Go. You can quilt single blocks, or quilt sections, there are many ways. Quilt As You Go is how I make all my quilts. Here is an example of one I have done. This is on a queen size bed - with overhang on the sides and long enough for a pillow tuck (though isn't tucked for the picture)

I do either free motion quilting or use machine quilting rulers. The quilt pictured was done with a spiral quilting ruler.
Attached Thumbnails img_5345.jpg  

Last edited by quiltsfor; 03-17-2023 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:06 AM

Default That’s a beautiful quilt!

That quilt is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the picture. I’m going to look into quilt as you go. Thank you for the tip.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by thumbert36 View Post
That quilt is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the picture. I’m going to look into quilt as you go. Thank you for the tip.
Marti Mitchell's Quilting in Sections is similar to QAYG, I think, but uses larger sections.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:27 AM

Default Quilting in Sections

I’m definitely going to look for that book. Maybe my library will even have it. Thank you!