Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting retreats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-retreats-t322079.html)

petthefabric 12-23-2023 01:56 PM

Quilting retreats

Summers in Florida are hot. I’m considering a retreat vacation during July to mid September. What events do you know about. Location preference is east of Mississippi River.

Onebyone 12-23-2023 04:19 PM

I don't see how the hot weather will hamper you going to a retreat close to you. All retreat centers will have AC. And usually no sight seeing trips to go to, everyone sews all day and most of the night.

dunster 12-23-2023 09:41 PM

If you hadn't said east of the Mississippi, I would have suggested Sisters in Oregon. It's not exactly a retreat, but there's a week of classes followed by the outdoor quilt show. I think I'm going again for the show this year, not sure about the classes yet.

cashs_mom 12-24-2023 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8629162)
I don't see how the hot weather will hamper you going to a retreat close to you. All retreat centers will have AC. And usually no sight seeing trips to go to, everyone sews all day and most of the night.

I don't understand how heat affects sewing as long as you have a/c. I only have problems with heat (and we have HEAT) when I have to be outside. I just don't go out much in the summer. I can be out the rest of the year here so I don't worry about being out in the summer.

sewingpup 12-24-2023 07:51 AM

umm...ok, an odd suggestion. But there is a "North House Folk School" all the way up in Grand Marais Minnesota. Not specific to quilting but all sorts of craft and art forms. Being on the shores of Lake Superior near the Canadian Border, yep, it may be cool. Also, "Madaline Island School of the Arts" which is located in Lade Superior off of the Wisconsin shore, offers some quilting classes during the summer. Again, should be cooler!

Rhonda K 12-24-2023 04:06 PM

I get it as last summer was miserable. It will be nice to have a break and get out of here. Is there a special quilt shop that you want to visit? Email them to see if they have something to offer.

We left for 10 days last September and just closed up the shutters in case of storms.

Peckish 12-24-2023 05:42 PM

I get together with 5-7 friends of my own and we do our own retreat.

KalamaQuilts 12-25-2023 09:19 AM

don't count on air. I went to a RVer's quilt retreat in Texas in August, the secondary room I was in, the air didn't work. Three days. 97-100 degrees outside. To add insudt to injury, in the main room at least 10 spaces were empty, but quilters taking classes had their crap there 'saving their space' for night sewing. Makes me cross all over again just writing about it and I doubt I'll ever be inclined to go to a retreat again.

KalamaQuilts 12-25-2023 09:23 AM

I just remembered, Missouri Star has retreats, but I don't know if they are MS organized or individual groups rent the space.
You could also sign up on Bonnie Hunter's site to be an extra for all the retreats held there, I'm sure people have to drop out all the time?

MaryKa 12-25-2023 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 8629132)
Summers in Florida are hot. I’m considering a retreat vacation during July to mid September. What events do you know about. Location preference is east of Mississippi River.

When it's HOT I don't want to do anything either. It was DESERT heat here this summer. Every day was 105-109d. Humidity was 90-100% with no rain many of the days.

Air conditioning does not always help. I would want to go N also.