Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting in Sections (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-sections-t343.html)

Ann P. 01-25-2007 07:04 AM

Thanks - I may have to try it. I really like the idea of quilting in sections. One of the problems I have is not having enough room to lay the entire quilt sandwich out on a hard surface. I have problems with my back and therefore, I have problems placing it on the floor. :)

lizbeth44 02-16-2007 01:01 PM

Hello Becky, I doing a search on the cotton theory after Janie asked for info. I had never heard of it. I had long ago thought about doing my own thing, as you said you did, on putting blocks together. Esp. for smaller quilts to be used as throws or cover-ups. That's what i liked about the rag quilts. You sound like you are an adventurer, me too. Email me and i'll tell you about a friendship quilt that i thought of 2 weeks ago, that's i've never heard about anywhere else. I've told Janie. [email protected]. I just bet you'll like it. You go girl.... liz

Lynn Luker 03-07-2007 09:30 PM

What about quilting by splitting the batting into thirds, has anyone tried that? After reading the newsletter last week I've been interesting in trying it. I have a queensized top ready to quilt, but dread trying to do it on my regular machine.
Thanks for any helps. I love reading all the advice and tips!
Lynn in Las Vegas

patricej 03-08-2007 01:49 AM

split it any way that makes it easiest for you. the "trick" to successful quilting in sections is more about the way you put the sections together than it is about how you divide them up.

Debbie Murry 03-08-2007 03:37 AM

I did mine in thirds going lengthwise . I have a regular sewing machine so this worked very well for me.

vicki reno 03-08-2007 07:11 AM

I have to do a king sized quilt soon and have bee dreading it becuase it will be so hard to quilt. I also plan to purchase John Flynn's machine quilting frame but quilting in sections, evn using his frame sounds like the way to go. One reason I was hesitating to do it in sections was because, before today, I thought the back had to be slipstitched together and I don't like to do hand stitching. But next time I go to the library, I will see if they have any of those books.
I like the idea of a fancy machine stitch where the pieces come together. that seems to be a great idea! :D

middysmom 03-08-2007 05:54 PM

becky would you please send me the directions on the cotton method my e-mail is [email protected] thanks dorothy from tenn

Norah 03-09-2007 02:38 AM

Vicki, I am quilting in the mountains. That's my house, except the hills are farther away. And my house is an older mobile home. And my yard is a MESS. Well, I do have the snow and the trees.....and a good imagination. :roll:

Neva Jones 03-09-2007 04:26 AM

I have a john Fry quild frame I dont have a place big enofe to use it you need at least 9 foot Neva

vicki reno 03-09-2007 06:58 AM

That is a picture of our retirement house to be. There is still a lot of work to be done, but we hav the important things like a TV and a porch swing :!: :D The closest town is about 15 miles away is the county seat and has not one but @ quilt shops :!: So it was meant to be :D Now I am not against going to Wal Mart either, but my sister lives in a town of 10-15,000 and they have none! So I think God had a hand in helping us find this house in the country. :D