Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting in Sections (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-sections-t343.html)

Knot Sew 03-11-2007 01:28 PM

2, 3, or ten, what ever works for you. I did one in thirds, and now I want to do one by about 24 inch blocks, I'm new to machine quilting so it is difficult for me, just need to practice, let us know how it goes

Beeflasher 10-14-2007 06:05 PM

:wink: Wonderful idea in fact I did think of it years ago, Oh well,Soooo easy to do and smaller is easier on the longarm as well, Live and learn.

QUILTNUT 10-16-2007 02:35 PM

I've been doing it this way for years...in fact, I've never done a bed-quilt entire. I design all my quilts, so it's easy to plan the quilt to facilitate this type of construction.

Just draw your design so that you can construct in quarters; they don't even have to be equal in size; a quilt that is 5 by 6 squares can be constructed in 2 sections of 9 squares and 2 section of 6 squares. It's all the same in the end. Quilt each section....so much easier to handle (I do all my quilting on a little table).

You can even plan your inner and outer borders accordingly to work out in each section. When all sections are done, I pin back backing and batting and sew sections together so the top is matched and stitched to make the divisions invisable. then trim batting up to the seam line in back and fold backing over the opposing section of backing and batting and tack down in small, even stitches. It works! And it holds up ;

my favorite old quilt on my bed is good as new even after several years of use. Hope this helps!....Mary

missd 01-30-2008 10:05 AM

To: emargaret
RE: Quilting as you go
Greetings,
I've been browsing the net trying to find info on RE: topic when I came across you comment. Can you please provide a book title (or 2) for Marti Mitchell that you think has the best info on this topic. I would greatly appreaciate your input and a lead on checking out her books.
Thanks again. :roll:

Marylou 01-30-2008 10:17 AM

Hi all,

Recently on a rerun of Simply Quilts I saw a procedure called Devide and Conquer. Since I only have a six foot table and not enough floor space for a large quilt it worked well for me.
1. Prepare backing and batting for your quilt top
2. Lay them out, but mentally devide the quilt into thirds and only pin the middle third. (On the show they used basting spray, but I don't have the space for that.)
3. Mark the top left and top right of quilt top and batting
4. Using a large zigzag cut, cut away batting on both sides.
5. Quilt the middle section. Since the side batting is gone, there isn't much bulk and everything fits under a regular sewing machine.
6. Using a large whip stitch, attach batting on one side. Pin or baste and quilt
7. Do the same with the other side.
I randomly quilted a king size quilt using this method and it was fairly easy.
Marylou

stay-at-home 02-07-2008 07:58 AM

i have done quite a few "quilt as you go." it's common for the log pattern design. however, i've also done the center of the quilt in the regular way- it's easier to quilt by machine if it's small - then added the borders in the quilt as you go method. this is alot easier to manage. the borders i also quilt on the machine after adding them but since you don't have to get to the center of the quilt, it's easier.

joyful_noise 02-23-2008 10:16 AM

Hello Norma,

I have never tried this method, but I watched a show on television about it this morning on "Sewing with Nancy". It looks like something I would like to try when I start my next quilt. You can purchase the instructional DVD on her website: sewingwithnancy.com.

joyful_noise 02-23-2008 11:02 AM

Hi Marylou,

I recently finished a quilt that measures 115 x 115 (I'm using it as a bedspread on my king size bed). I also used this method for quilting (didn't see the program you watched, just figured it out on my own) and it worked out well. Will send pics if you wish !! I just joined this forum today. I think I'm going to like it :lol: I too was doing a search on reversible quilts. Think I will try the cotton method of "one way" and "highway" stitching for assembly on my next project.

Marylou 02-23-2008 02:23 PM

Hi Joyful, I would love to see a picture of your quilt. I am glad it worked for you, I am trying to decide what to do next, but will definately use this process for all my large quilts. Marylou :)

stay-at-home 02-24-2008 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by joyful_noise
Hi Marylou,

I recently finished a quilt that measures 115 x 115 (I'm using it as a bedspread on my king size bed). I also used this method for quilting (didn't see the program you watched, just figured it out on my own) and it worked out well. Will send pics if you wish !! I just joined this forum today. I think I'm going to like it :lol: I too was doing a search on reversible quilts. Think I will try the cotton method of "one way" and "highway" stitching for assembly on my next project.

Hi Joyful, welcome to the forum. I think it's a great place to hear from others who love to sew and you get lots of ideas and tips as well as applause! :D