Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-sewing-machine-t109715.html)

IdahoSandy 03-22-2011 08:59 AM

I am considering buying a new sewing machine to just do quilting on. This means doing the whole quilt from start to finish. So what name machine should I buy. Something not too pricey but still get the job done. A friend told me to get a machine that has a stitch regulator with sensors on the frame carriage wheels. Need your input.
IdahoSandy

sewcrafty 03-22-2011 09:00 AM

Are you looking for a DSM (Domestic Sewing Machine) that does it all or a mid or long arm?

Dolphyngyrl 03-22-2011 09:03 AM

Are you talking a long arm or home sewing machine, if you are talking home sewing machine brother has a simple straight stitch called PQ-1500s that has more room for you to quilt but only does a straight stitch, not sure how much they run, but seems like a nice machine

suezquilts 03-22-2011 09:31 AM

I just purchased a Viking Mega Quilter, this can be set up on a frame.
so far I like it. it is only a straight stitch.
I have a Longarm, I purchased this because I'm tired of computerized DSM, they are fussy. I have went through two berninas in the past 15 yrs.

You can do fmq on this machine, i haven't tried yet.

leaha 03-22-2011 09:32 AM

an older Pfaff woth IDT !!!!!

IdahoSandy 03-23-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
Are you talking a long arm or home sewing machine, if you are talking home sewing machine brother has a simple straight stitch called PQ-1500s that has more room for you to quilt but only does a straight stitch, not sure how much they run, but seems like a nice machine

Thank you for the information. I have had two brother sewing machines so if I could get the same machine it would be best because I would not have to learn a complete new machine.
Thank you,
Sandy

IdahoSandy 03-23-2011 12:30 PM

I just want a simple sewing machine that will do machine quilting. I have a brother right now that is several years old. I have tried to use a walking foot on the present machine and with all my attempts at adjusting tensions still get puckering on the back side of quilt.
Sandy

IdahoSandy 03-23-2011 12:33 PM

I only want a sewing machine that would do quilting. The one I have now is a Brother with 15 fancy stitches which I have never even used. A simple inexpensive machine to do machine quilting(not a long arm)
Sandy

JoyVoltenburg 03-23-2011 12:34 PM

Puckers usually are caused by how tight the quilt sandwich is put together. I would look into spray baste instead of pins for sandwiching the quilt before quilting. I had the worst trouble keeping puckers out before I went that route. Since then I've purchased a mid-arm machine on a frame. If you're wanting a sit-down sewing machine for quilting - look for one with the largest throat space as possible. I've used a new Babylock and an old 401A Singer - both did fine.

GrammaBabs 03-23-2011 12:35 PM

sandy... all i can say is that i have a grace quilt frame with a janome 1600P that runs on a carraige.... i can do up to king size, but only about 9 or 10" at a time... i've become pretty good at it and love this package... if you have the room, you can speed up your
FMQ, and save a fortune in quilting costs... this all ran me $3,500.... NO stitch regulator... i'm not sure i'd want one.. the trick is to LEARN to move smoothly... and the speed can be controlled... just me input!:)