Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting thread to use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-thread-use-t305402.html)

rvsfan 06-23-2019 07:26 PM

Quilting thread to use

What kind and weight thread do you use for domestic machine quilting ? I want quilting to show but not heavy . I don't care about the back.

I tried to do advanced search because I know thread has had many discussions. The post would come up with no text . What did I do wrong ?

Stitchnripper 06-23-2019 10:35 PM

I use any thread I want on my Brother PQ1500. I can use coats and Clark, aurafil, wonderfil, isacord, glide, and lately have been using the coats and Clark serger thread for FMQ. They all work. Depends on the look. The trilobal polyesters like Isacord give a different look. Practice with different threads and see what you like. My machine is happy with a 90/10’ top stitch needle with any of the threads.

Gay 06-23-2019 11:49 PM

My Tin Lizzie takes anything from monopoly to cheap cotton to machine embroidery thread, & sometimes have to adjust the tension.

Rhonda K 06-24-2019 02:52 AM

I have used machine emb thread for quilting. I recently used glide thread for the first time for a quilt and a wall-hanging. I quilted designs using designs on the EMB machine. It has a soft sheen and was a delight to use. Used it in the bobbin also. No thread breakage on either project.

tallchick 06-24-2019 03:00 AM

Also, in addition to thread, batting also plays a part in the definition of the quilting.

NJ Quilter 06-24-2019 04:45 AM

Being very new to machine quilting on my domestic, the only thread I've used is the Coats & Clark MQ thread from JoAnn's. Worked just fine though.

As to your second question regarding searching on the site...there's been a bit of glitch lately. Put in your search terms as normal and when the threads come up, hit the F5 key or 'refresh' icon and the text will appear in the responses.

Kitsie 06-24-2019 07:01 AM

I use Gutermann's same as I use for piecing.

fireworkslover 06-24-2019 07:24 AM

I like any 50 wt. thread for quilting and also use metallics or Sliver which is considered a 40 wt. Glide is great = no lint. But you can used thinner like 60 - 100 wt (silk) if you want, it depends on the type of quilting you are doing. Grab a quilt sandwich in a solid color and experiment. Use thread colors that contrast with your fabric, so you can see the stitches.

thimblebug6000 06-24-2019 07:43 AM

The two threads I have out to use for machine quilting right now are Mettler Quilting No. 40 100% Cotton and Gutermann Quilting 100% cotton (no weight showing on spool but close to the 40 ). They are thicker than what I normally piece with Aurifil No. 50. I am trying to use these pretty threads that I bought when I first started to quilt, thinking I would need one in every colour. :D

selm 06-24-2019 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by rvsfan (Post 8269040)
I tried to do advanced search because I know thread has had many discussions. The post would come up with no text . What did I do wrong ?

I don't why it happens but if you hit the refresh icon(forward curved arrow near back arrow top of screen) the post will come up.