Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting vs. Piecing thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-vs-piecing-thread-t169686.html)

ghostrider 11-25-2011 05:27 PM

I've never been one to follow rules. I piece and quilt with 30wt cotton thread and often use hand quilting thread for both tasks. Several brands are fine for machine use and I've never had any ill effects in either machine (Bernina and Viking) in 15 years of using it.

LivelyLady 11-25-2011 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltNama (Post 4716098)
Machine quilting thread can be used on your machine and used for piecing but...hand quilting thread should never be run thru your machine as there is a finish on it to prevent it from knotting up as you hand quilt.

I absolutely agree.

moreland 11-25-2011 06:50 PM

I have used the cones of thread (serger) for years with no ill effects. It is polyester thread, strong as can be--I cannot break it by pulling on it. In spite of the article saying use only cotton, I do not believe, personally, that it makes that much difference.

Fraew 11-25-2011 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 4719370)
i use the same threads for piecing and quilting. i never use embroidery, serger, or hand-quilting thread, though.

Have you done any EPP? If so, what thread do you use?

ckcowl 11-26-2011 03:16 AM

i've probably made 50-70 quilts pieced with serger (maxi-lock) thread- they have held up for years- no problems-
if the thread is strong it is ok to use-
i did have one cone that when doing the tug test broke- i didn't use that one- but i've used literally hundreds of serger cones-that were strong enough.
i use lots of different threads- the ones i tend to steer clear of (especially for quilting) are 100% cotton threads- they are the ones that break every couple inches- and are much more frustration than they are worth. serger thread comes in hundreds of colors, is color fast, and lots on a cone (cost effective)
if you look hard enough you can find something (negative) about every item you ever want

AshleyR 11-26-2011 06:16 AM

I like using serger thread too. I have used it on everything except seams on clothing that might split under pressure. I think it looks nice in a quilt too, because it's smaller and makes the batting "pop" a little more. And it's cheaper :)

karenpatrick 11-28-2011 03:56 AM

I use machine quilting thread to piece my quilts as well as quilt them. It's stronger, and after all, my quilts have to last 100 years!

SuperiorThreads 11-28-2011 11:33 AM

What great responses to this question. I'd like to add if you use piecing thread for quilting and your quilt is going to be used a lot, the piecing thread could be too thin to withstand the wear and tear of use.

Ricci

stitchengramie 08-23-2013 02:28 AM

Thanks for asking and posting this post wattse2000. I was wondering the same thing myself. I cannot see buying two different types of thread. Hand quilting thread I will never use again for it made an awful mess.