Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts and colors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-colors-t90113.html)

raptureready 01-13-2011 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler

Originally Posted by merry
Keep your quilts, give away your SIL :)

She's actually typically a 'keeper' (it's the other one I'd give away!). I think she's just a non-quilter just like the rest of the family. Seems like nobody "gets" me in the family.

If they don't "get" you all the better. Keep 'em guessing, it makes life so much fun. I'm 57 and my own family will admit that I baffle them. I just turn and walk away as I'm laughingly on my way to do something else they'll consider outrageous. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yeah, I'd definately have to add some WILD colors to that room.

Sadiemae 01-13-2011 09:37 AM

I love bright colors, so she doesn't have to look if she doesn't like it!!!

quilter on the eastern edge 01-13-2011 09:41 AM

William Morris said, "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful". He said nothing about matching. So if you like it and think it is beautiful, display it in your house. You have to live there, not your SIL.

hazeljane 01-13-2011 09:43 AM

I used to work as an interior decorator. It always made me sad when some women wanted to throw away beloved items because they didn't "match" their new Tuscan kitchen. I think that pops of individuality is what makes a house look like a home, instead of a magazine page. In fact, if you look at decorating magazines, there is frequently something in the room that makes it less matchy- it pops the decor.

I think you should have what you love around you. Just like the quilt police, you need to ignore the interior design police. Bland is not always the way to go.

Happy Treadler 01-13-2011 09:46 AM

Oh, I hope I didn't make my SIL sound like a bad guy (non-quilters are OK sometimes!). She's really sweet, really. ;) I just think our whole family gets hung up (over-the-top) on matching everything. Like "so what color is your master bedroom going to be?"-type things. I think they all are very conservative in their tastes, and tans and greens rule in their homes. Maybe my blue & purple topper just threw poor SIL over the top.

Now, I CAN look at it a different way and say that after it's finished I could show her how nice it looks and convert her into think color's perfectly OK, too!

Or, I could just not care what anybody else thinks. ha ha

samifel 01-13-2011 09:50 AM

Oh my goodness......there are no rules. If you make it and like it keep it. If you make it and don't like it give it away.

AliKat 01-13-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by merry
Keep your quilts, give away your SIL :)

I think I'll have to remember this one. ROFLOL.

If I like something I leave it out. It only has to please me.

ali

quiltlady37 01-13-2011 09:58 AM

Quilters love all of their quilts....just because they are quilts and they are show pieces of our art. Do what you want and as everyone else has said....there are no rules other than do as you please. It is your home.

cjr 01-13-2011 10:24 AM

Happy Treadler,
I have the same sewing machine as you do. without box on the right. Is this the machine you use in quilting? I bought mine 45 years ago at an auction for $3.00. Have not used it but tested it after I got it home. I have been thinking about seeing if it can be used , now that I've become a quilter. This board and my new quilting buddies all seem to be reccommending the old machines.

This is the first time I came accross another one like mine.

By the way regarding your color delima. In short go with bright, you may be changing your color tastes. This is a good way to start. Colors reflect our emotions and physic. Sometimes we need bright colors for a reason.

Enjoy you beautiful quilt. your SIL does not have to live with it.

mayday 01-13-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
To heck with proper ;-)

agreed.