Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts instead of flowers at funeral home (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-instead-flowers-funeral-home-t58975.html)

JCL in FL 08-13-2010 04:54 PM

I have never seen that but I wish I had when my MIL passed five years ago. She had made some beautiful quilts. Two I have on my twin beds in the guest room, They are worn and faded and I love them.

rosalia856 08-13-2010 05:38 PM

I have seen them at two funerals of parents to my friends. They were so beautiful. I am one who agrees that flowers die unless of course you send silk flowers. I always give an angel fiquine. One I gave had roses on the dress of the angel who wore pink I never knew that her mother loved pink and pink roses were her favorites. For small children or even a teen who has lost a parent or a sibling I give a stuffed teddy bare or a stuffed lamb. That why they can hold onto it. It gives them confort during the calling hours and services. My teenage that I prayed for in the youth group brother's died at school durning a gym class of an asthma attack. The coach sent him to his locker alone. When he didn't return they found him dead in front of his locker. His mother told me what a comfort it was for his sister to have the bear. I placed a note that said , " Stay anchorged in the faith of God." I know that this is lengthy , but I wanted to share it with all of you.

katcincinnati 08-13-2010 06:45 PM

I had never heard of this until now. I like the idea.

Linsoblu 08-13-2010 07:12 PM

Our Quilt Guild does a memorial at our quilt show for a quilter who has passed away that year. Our quilt show is going on this week end. We have a memorial for one gal who passed earlier this year it's not only a great tribute to her it helping her husband heal from the loss. There are 60 of her quilts on display and her husband has been there to greet everyone who come to see them. We also do the Honor Quilts for those service our country.

Sew 'N Sew 08-13-2010 07:54 PM

In January a friend passed away at 102 yrs of age and a quilt she hand stitched at 101 years was displayed. I've never heard of giving a quilt rather then flowers but think it's an excellent idea.

Annz 08-13-2010 08:08 PM

I have yet to see this. Interesting

Rubyrednails2 08-13-2010 08:10 PM

An older lady I know had told her kids when she died, she didn't want to have flowers..especially flowers on the casket. She said give her flowers when she was alive, lol.

The 3 kids decided to drape a hand crocheted afghan across the casket which she made and had taken the Best of Show at the county fair.They displayed her purple ribbon too. She would have been so proud. I think something like this is much more desirable than spending alot of money on flowers which are thrown away or left at the gravesite. JMHO

Becca 08-13-2010 08:15 PM

my mother, a quilter, passed away last week and we chose a quilt she made for the top of the coffin and put the flowers on top. She would have loved it. At the burial the funeral director folded it and gave it to my dad.

bjdemir 08-13-2010 08:34 PM

This is a great idea. Have never heard of it before, but like others have said the flowers just fade away and get thrown out.

SassySewer53 08-13-2010 09:45 PM

I like this, but my mom wants no funeral. Going to make a quilt after she passes from some of her clothes.