Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts instead of flowers at funeral home (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-instead-flowers-funeral-home-t58975.html)

grandmasews 08-13-2010 10:38 PM

One of my sisters passed away 2 years ago in Oklahoma and one of our cousins made a quilt to display over the casket. Very beautiful!

cyniree 08-14-2010 06:27 AM

I think that is wonderful, much better then just flowers

loves_2_quilt 08-14-2010 07:02 AM

I have made some quilts for people who have had a death instead of flowers. Quilts last, flowers die.

betlinsmom 08-14-2010 07:29 AM

Honey, I could not have worded that better myself!! I have made it known I want no flowers but wish that money be donated to the Sunday school dept in my church! Putting my quilts all around me would be sooooo much more appropriate!!

betlinsmom 08-14-2010 07:51 AM

I have informed my family i wish to be cremated , put my ashes in a peanut buttter jar and just hold a memorial service for me. Instead of buying and tHROWING away flowers, donate all monies to the SSdept in my church at the time of my memorial service and after , like Mothers day , etc. And I would be honored to have my quilts displayed at my Memorial service. I will leave instructions as to who gets what with that name tag idea. I would rather my family celebrate my life than to mourn my death!!!

watterstide 08-14-2010 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Becca
my mother, a quilter, passed away last week and we chose a quilt she made for the top of the coffin and put the flowers on top. She would have loved it. At the burial the funeral director folded it and gave it to my dad.

i am so sorry for your recent loss Becca..My heart goes out to you my dear. what a beautiful thing to hand over to your dad.

Molokai Grandma 08-14-2010 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
I have never heard of this either. Here in Mississippi they are doing videos of the person's lifeat the wake. I love the quilt idea.

Here on Molokai they show videos of theyr life at the viewing.
I decided at my funeral I have them show all the things I've made, quilts ,blankets ect. Lots of them went to members for all theyr babies( we have lots of them here). I have always taken photos and later computer pics of all my work. I think it will be a long show!

pegquilter8 08-14-2010 10:44 AM

At a long term ccare facility where I used to work a quilt was draped over the gurney as it was wheeled out of the biulding and the person who had died was later written in the squares. I was always hanging in the chapel as a rememberance of those who had gone on.

treeseek quilter 08-14-2010 12:57 PM

When my brother was alive he enjoyed doing oil paintings. He was really good, too. When he died his wife took all the paintings that they still had and put them around where the flowers would sit at the funeral home. Everyone was amazed that he did such good painting and it showed who he really was and enjoyed.

mountain deb 08-14-2010 02:17 PM

I have never heard of it, but WOW, what a great idea.