Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts instead of flowers at funeral home (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-instead-flowers-funeral-home-t58975.html)

cattailsquilts 08-12-2010 08:08 AM

The first quilt I ever made was a gift for my grandma. When she passed last fall, it was displayed in the casket with her, along with the cross-stitch pillow I made her. My 16 y/o cousin wanted them buried with her, but I kept them for the memories. She sold so many special things over her last few years, but the things I made her went to every hospital & respite home with her, so I know how much she treasured them...

countrymaid 08-12-2010 08:09 AM

My DH aunt and uncle had sheep. They did alot of spinning and weaving. When uncle passed they used one of his weavings instead of a casket spray. It gave a chance to remember good times rather than his long illness.

AnnaK 08-12-2010 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by nicky
I believe that that is a lovely idea. Before my mom passed away she said bring me flowers while I'm still her to enjoy them not at my funeral. Quilts would have been a great idea.

Beautiful picture of you in your avatar Nicky.

sew cornie 08-12-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by spinnergs
We had a distant relative who had her own quilts displayed at the funeral, kind of like a private showing. Was great way to remember her. Since so many of us give our quilts away, this was nice to see them brought back one last time.

I heard of one similar to this not too long ago. There were several dozen quilts displayed all around the sanctuary, most of which had been previously given away, but were gathered together for this warming tribute. I love the idea of honoring someone in such a personal way.

amandasgramma 08-12-2010 08:41 AM

Never seen it, never heard of it, but LOVE the idea! What a wonderful thing to do!!!! And in my opinion, beats the heck out of flowers!

damaquilts 08-13-2010 03:03 AM

I have never heard of this . What a wonderful idea instead of flowers. I have always hated wasting what little money I have on flowers. But what I did do for my fathers funeral was give yellow tulips and my step mom took them home and planted them. I always give something different.
I have already decided on what I want. no viewing I don't like them No funeral my DD has better things to spend her money on. I am donating my body. But I do want a rip roaring party. Lots of music, food , booze and laughter. Hopefully they will display some of my quilts.

Late Bloomer 08-13-2010 03:07 AM

My sister in law passed away and she had a closed casket. Her daughters put a large wall hanging she had made that had different blocks on it over the casket. It was a beautiful and wonderful way to memorialize her handiwork. She was a superb quilter and her husband now keeps it hanging on his wall.

Alice Woodhull 08-13-2010 03:08 AM

When one of my friends died, there were no flowers on her casket, they had put one ofher masterpiece quilts over it. Ithad been hung at Houston, and she won numerous prizes on it. It was a wonderful tribute to her and brought tears to my eyes when Isaw it.

JETTA 08-13-2010 03:17 AM

HI DONNA,
I noticed your from Rogers City,Mi.,years ago I passed that area on my way up to Cheboygan.
What a precious wonderful tribute with quilts I wish I would have known about it when my mom passed away,she was a wonderful hand quilter,my name is Gale however it was already being used,gale

CraftsByRobin 08-13-2010 03:18 AM

Yes, I've seen it quite often ... and most of them are very lovely ... I especially like the ones with the Lord's prayer and Psalms 23. I've seen them with Angels, praying hands, Jesus, and various other scenes.