Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts for kids binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-kids-binding-t94410.html)

cjr 01-27-2011 01:31 PM

When I do smaller QFK I make them pillow case style. I'm with you Bringing binding from the back is a pain. If you are self binding with back fabric leave no more the 1 1/2" of backing to turn over.

I spray glue batting to backing then sew around 3 sides, turn then finish the end, the last couple i made I turned the backing to the front for an added color. That was easier then turning 3 layers the stitching edge. I also think this will wear better.

My local coordinator suggested doing pillowcase style.

irishrose 01-27-2011 01:38 PM

I don't like the backing on mine, so I bought a cheerful yellow to bind it. I wasn't impressed with the idea of doing a wrapped binding anyway, so mine is done in a standard double binding. Muddy lime green isn't my idea of a happy color, though it does look better with the flash of yellow.

I did use their backing as the directions said not to substitute backings.

peacebypiece 01-27-2011 03:11 PM

I am currently finishing 3 quilts for kids. I just find a solid color fabric in my stash for the binding. the whole idea is those kids who are really ill get a handmade quilt to make them feel better. The quilts are washed. sometimes daily by the hospital laundry so need to be able to take a beating. My friend has seen them caught in wheelchairs, run over, and other accidents. I may not love the colors QFK chose, but it's not for me. Kids don't care if the colors they like go together or not. They just like the colors. Just make sure your binding is sturdy so it will stand up to all the "love" it gets.

Lynn Luker 01-27-2011 03:50 PM

We are all so different, aren't we? I have made whole cloth baby quilts, and tied them for years. I always used the backing pulled to the front for bindings. I think it's the easy way. Now that I've learned to piece 'real' quilts I have (finally!!) learned to do the regular binding. But I miss the other way!
I agree with the others, the kids will be thrilled to get quilts. We tend to see every little detail, but the kids won't! Thank you for your efforts for the Quilts for Kids!

MM 01-27-2011 07:59 PM

Thank you all for your helpful comments and suggestions. I need to remember that these are for kids, and as you say, they won't care if the stripes are wonky :).

If I hadn't already quilted these quilts, I'd try the pillowcase style of finishing. And if I were at home, I'd have plenty of colorful stash fabric to use for binding. But we left home a couple of months ago to spend the first winter of our retirement in a warm place...currently the Texas coast, so I may hop on over to Joann's or Hobby Lobby and find some coordinating fabric-I really don't like the color of the backing on a couple of these quilts.