Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts for kids binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-kids-binding-t94410.html)

MM 01-27-2011 11:30 AM

How are you doing the binding for the Downy/Quilts for Kids kits?

I've never done self-binding before, so perhaps that's why I'm so frustrated. The backing on this quilt is striped and getting it trimmed, folded, and sewn on the front without the stripes looking wonky was quilt an endeavor. Have three more to go with the striped backing; I'm about ready to go buy some plain fabric and do "regular" binding.

Putting the quilt together and quilting it was fun; this part is driving me crazy.

Suggestions for making this stressful?

Thanks!

mhunt1717 01-27-2011 11:32 AM

I always use my own binding on the QFKs!

amma 01-27-2011 11:32 AM

Stripes aren't the easiest for that method.. I would probably just bind them, that is what I do when I make the Downy Quilts :D:D:D

Grammy o'5 01-27-2011 11:33 AM

When I do them, I trim the back to match the front, then use the fabric that I've trimmed off to make the binding.
If you are having trouble, just make a binding out of some other fabric.

bjnicholson 01-27-2011 11:36 AM

Good to know. I've got several projects in the works and then I'm going to get my feet wet with the QFK's.

MM 01-27-2011 11:51 AM

Well, I thought I'd proofread my query. Of course, I meant "suggestions to make this LESS stressful".

I don't think I have enough of the trimmed off fabric to use for binding. Quite a bit at top and bottom, but what I cut off the sides isn't wide enough to use.

Grammy o'5 01-27-2011 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by MM
Well, I thought I'd proofread my query. Of course, I meant "suggestions to make this LESS stressful".

I don't think I have enough of the trimmed off fabric to use for binding. Quite a bit at top and bottom, but what I cut off the sides isn't wide enough to use.

Well, to make it less stressful would probably be to check your stash for a fabric that will look good with the kit to make the binding from. I don't think the QFK people are worried about it, and the kids will be happy with it no matter what the binding is.

Jim's Gem 01-27-2011 12:34 PM

I had so much trouble with the self binding I went ahead and just used my own binding and sewed it down by machine.

ckcowl 01-27-2011 12:42 PM

i just bound mine the way i bind all quilts...no problem
the self binding is just an option...and usually an easier way to go.
and as for the wonky stripes...KIDS WOULD LOVE THE WONKY STRIPES! THEY DON'T CARE. THEY THINK YOU MADE IT THAT WAY SPECIAL FOR THEM!
not one of them is going to have any idea that the way it is isn't the way it's supposed to be. relax :thumbup:

Prism99 01-27-2011 01:11 PM

When I use stripes to bind a quilt, I cut them on the bias. They look really nice this way, and you don't have to worry about being a little "off". I *do* heavily starch the fabric before cutting the bias strips. The starch keeps the bias from distorting during handling.

Oops! Sorry, I missed the part about self-binding. I simply refuse to do quilts with self-binding. They never turn out well for me!