Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-quilted-death-just-my-2-cents-worth-t245527.html)

pmonaghen 04-22-2014 03:08 AM

Although art quilts are beautiful...and I love looking at them...That being said...I spend a fair amount of time picking fabrics for a quilt...and want the fabric to be the focus...NOT the quilting...

Edie 04-22-2014 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by pmonaghen (Post 6685963)
Although art quilts are beautiful...and I love looking at them...That being said...I spend a fair amount of time picking fabrics for a quilt...and want the fabric to be the focus...NOT the quilting...

I agree with you 100%. I do not do machine quilting because I KNOW I would not be able to do a quilt justice. I leave that to the professionals and if I want it quilted I will pay for it and my favorite design for a quilt is the cheapest and most effective is the Meander stitch. Besides after reading all of these excellent replies, I came up with my own conclusion - MY QUILT, MY RULES! I do what pleases me. I make mistakes, I rip, sew, rip, sew just like everyone else, but when my quilts are done, I am pleased, regardless if I have to pay to have them machine quilted or if I tie them down myself. No quilt is ever quilted to death, it seems to me that it is quilted to life! Right? It is the last thing before the binding. The quilting or tying gives it life, the binding gives it the first breath. Edie

w1613s 04-22-2014 03:36 AM

My vote is for whatever quilt will softly and warmly and lovingly encompass me both mind and body. Maybe even soul. If a quilt in my hands does not accomplish the above it loses all interest for me.

Art quilts are magnificent. My beloved aunt died petting a warm, soft, etc. one I made for her. Guess which one fulfills my idea of a quilt.

Pat

Wanabee Quiltin 04-22-2014 03:43 AM

I have looked at some quilts and could barely see the design because of the heavy quilting. I, personally, do not care for these types of quilts. I have my likes and dislikes in art and quilting is an art. I love my vintage quilts and they are not heavily quilted.

Lucy90 04-22-2014 03:44 AM

I don't like a quilt over quilted. I like more space & when it is washed it puffs up design better. Just my opinion

QuiltMom2 04-22-2014 04:17 AM

This has been an interesting discussion! Quilts - I love them all!! Just wish I had the patience to hand quilt so heavily and as for FMQ on DSM, I wish I could and have it look as gorgeous as so many of the pictures I see posted here.

lclang 04-22-2014 04:24 AM

I think it really depends on what you want. Are you showcasing the quilting? If so the piecing, applique, embroidery should probably be fairly simple. If you want to showcase the surface design then maybe a little less quilting would be best. I don't care for a quilt that is so heavily quilted that it feels like a mattress pad if you are going to use it on a bed. If it is a wall quilt it doesn't make any difference. I guess what I'm saying is there is room for all....do what looks good to you. It doesn't matter what others think if you are happy with your project.

rndelling 04-22-2014 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin (Post 6686020)
I have looked at some quilts and could barely see the design because of the heavy quilting. I, personally, do not care for these types of quilts. I have my likes and dislikes in art and quilting is an art. I love my vintage quilts and they are not heavily quilted.

I agree. I look at these quilts, and even though the quilting is beautiful, the pattern of the quilt gets lost in the quilting. Can't see the forest for the trees kind of thing.

I much prefer hand quilting to this latest craze but also think that this too shall pass.

quiltmom04 04-22-2014 05:07 AM

I think that quilting has veered off in two different directions, and shows and competitions have not changed to reflect that. Years ago, I would go to a quilt show and all there would be would be bed quilts - things that would/could be used on a bed. They were pretty, practical and very do-able. I would leave excited to get back home and get quilting. Now, it's more of an art show. The quilters are very talented and skilled, to be sure. But it seems like the big winners are art pieces, not bed quilts, and to compare the two in a competition is apples to oranges. The quilt shows have not kept up with the divergence and given enough credit to actual bed quilts. And you're right. I've done some wall quilts with all that quilting, and they are like cardboard. Nothing I would want to snuggle under at night. And now I usually don't leave a quilt show inspired to get quilting until I visit the vendors section!

judith ann 04-22-2014 05:14 AM

My personal like is a quilt that is soft and easy to wrap up in. Not stiff. I do not care for the tiny stippling. Just me. judy j